Med control stuff from student doctor forums

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Maybe someone can find some more.

Med Control: This is EMS Agent Smith, I am on scene with a 105 yr old woman, she is cold and her extremities are rigid. Her family had not seen her for about 3 days. I can auscultate no heart or breath sounds and all three leads shows asystole.. May I forgo a code and call this patient? Yes.

Med Control: This is EMS Agent Lacy. I am on scene with a 24 yr old whose car got rear-ended. he is refusing medical care. He is out here walking around on his cell phone. He denies any alcohol, says that nothing hurts. Are we ok to refuse medical care to this patient? Yes

Med Control: Hey doc, this is EMS Agent Jimmy. I am going to pick up a guy from the pysch hospital and I have picked this guy up before and know that I need will need restraints, is it ok if I use restraints? Please do.

LOL this website is a hoot.

-Pharyngitis with abnormal vitals, who didn't meet criteria for fast-track. rule out abscess, strep, consider mono, blah-blah-blah- if they are really whiny and tachycardic, give liter of fluid, toradol, and discharge looking much better.

I had a dude dropped off by homeboy ambulance with a bullet shattered ulna. My ortho couldn't quite get his mind around the fact he was called for a gsw at 1am at our non-trauma community hospital. I repeated that part about 8 times. "Yes, a gunshot wound. No, EMS didn't bring him here, he just showed up. Yes, he got shot. Yes, his ulna is in many tiny pieces. And yes, you need to see him. Yes, now. Really, he got shot. Come see him."

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Which thread from there is that from?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/index.php

That is a great site for alot of professions. I have always said EMS could learn from the trials and triumphs of the other professionals.

Some of the allied health professions I use as examples in my posts are represented on this forum. OT, PT, Speech and Audiology are talking about their professions at the doctorate level.

It is fascinating to read the reimbursement savvy of these professionals and how they market their profession with an understanding of the various agencies.

I also checked out what the RTs are saying on that site about making the Bachelors degree the entry level. It is embarrassing and almost shameful that RT requires just an Associates degree especially when it is trying to be taken seriously on Rehab or other multidisciplinary committees as well as gaining more respect in research. At least the RTs are in good company as RNs also only require an Associates. But, both professions are starting to feel the pressure to advance their entry level education. At least the RT profession is still young with having achieved licensure recognition for the majority of states in the mid 1980s. It is still a youngster compared to EMS which is now middle-aged.

Anybody looking at this website taking notes on the emphasis for keeping a profession alive and strong through education? Or, are you only looking for the bash and thrash threads?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Sounds good

I'd be looking for stuff indicating what the definitive car folks think about what is done in the field. I've been pursuing it here and it can be really sobering, and sometimes funny. I'll go look later today.