Massachusetts Written Exam

chrisp368

Forum Probie
I'm taking my EMT-B written exam next week. Any pointers or things I should look out for on the test? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I found the MA test to be easier than both my class final and the National Registry tests. It is not adaptive (you answer all the questions) and pretty straightforward. They give you a score breakdown afterwards, and I recall getting in the 90s in everything except ambulance operations. The proctor mentioned that everyone seemed to struggle with that section.

I did not study for the test considering that I took it within three weeks of the end of class, so I can't say that there are some sections that you should study extra. If you did fine in class, you'll be fine for the test.

Steam Engine

Forum Lieutenant
I found the MA test to be easier than both my class final and the National Registry tests. It is not adaptive (you answer all the questions) and pretty straightforward. They give you a score breakdown afterwards, and I recall getting in the 90s in everything except ambulance operations. The proctor mentioned that everyone seemed to struggle with that section.

I did not study for the test considering that I took it within three weeks of the end of class, so I can't say that there are some sections that you should study extra. If you did fine in class, you'll be fine for the test.

Agreed. Study like you did for your class final, and you should do well.

lawndartcatcher

Forum Lieutenant
Some of the questions on the Massachusetts written exam are pretty strange. Also remember that the questions are from the national database, not some mythical Massachusetts database, so you may see questions about tourniquets, MAST pants, etc. For the purposes of the exam (and the purposes of the exam only) if you have to make a choice between "what's right for Massachusetts" and "what's right for the National protocols" choose "what's right for the National Protocols" (in the field you'd choose "What's right for the patient".)

Review the major points of the book and be up on your acronyms. The sections that people fail most often are:
  1. Ambulance Operations
  2. OB/GYN
  3. Pediatrics
  4. Burns (weird, but true)
Review these sections one at a time - don't try to cram. The night before your exam put your book away (as well as any refreshing alcoholic beverages - there will be plenty of time for that after the exam). Plan on getting there at least 30 minutes early (they want you there 30 minutes before the time on your card, and traffic is always a problem when you're in a hurry). Leave books, study guides, flash cards, etc. in the car. Be sure you have your CPR card and Driver's License with you.

I have heard that one or two of the folks who proctor the exam can be somewhat difficult to deal with. Be polite and respectful to them and don't take it personally - they're nasty to everyone. Also remember that you're going to a "testing center", not an "EMS testing center". The woman sitting to the left of me was taking her Real Estate Agent's license test and the guy to my right was taking his electrician's test.

CHITOWNMEDIC

Forum Probie
Massachusetts written exam .

I last took it in April 2008 for Paramedic & they were using a computer based written through a private testing company called PSI exams out in Las Vegas. I went to West Springfield, took it & passed within an hour if that & they photographed me & gave me the license right on the spot. I thought it was the best system I'd seen for out of State licensure, I hope they didn't change that ?:huh:

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I last took it in April 2008 for Paramedic & they were using a computer based written through a private testing company called PSI exams out in Las Vegas. I went to West Springfield, took it & passed within an hour if that & they photographed me & gave me the license right on the spot. I thought it was the best system I'd seen for out of State licensure, I hope they didn't change that ?:huh:

Pretty much the same as when I did it for basic!