Mandatory overtime - what do you do?

What do you do if mandated to work OT

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JPINFV

Gadfly
How does one plan a trip if they can be called back at any time? It's kinda of hard to show up for a shift if you're halfway across the country

reaper

Working Bum
I hear ya. It sucks when you can't completely bank on having your scheduled days off. It's even harder to plan a vacation, especially where I work. Sure, my paystub might say I have 200 hours, but there's no guarantee I'll get any of them when I request to use them.

My workplace uses a lottery system if no one volunteers. We are a city service and have a lot of details for various events around town. If any of those details are not filled, then everyone's name that is off that day is put into a hat. Had something planned that day? Sucks! If you can't find anyone else to work it for you, then you either come in or take the writeup (or suspension or termination, depending on how many times you've been previously counseled).

It's not the ideal situation, but it doesn't happen every day, and even less so now that the city is finally tightening its belt and cutting down on OT budgets.

Time for the service to give all event coverage to a private service an worry about the 911 service soley!

Sasha

Forum Chief
How does one plan a trip if they can be called back at any time? It's kinda of hard to show up for a shift if you're halfway across the country

Shoot, how does someone have a kid, a significant other, go to school or have any type of life when they can pull that kinda crap?

I'd quit that service!

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
I hear ya. It sucks when you can't completely bank on having your scheduled days off. It's even harder to plan a vacation, especially where I work. Sure, my paystub might say I have 200 hours, but there's no guarantee I'll get any of them when I request to use them.

My workplace uses a lottery system if no one volunteers. We are a city service and have a lot of details for various events around town. If any of those details are not filled, then everyone's name that is off that day is put into a hat. Had something planned that day? Sucks! If you can't find anyone else to work it for you, then you either come in or take the writeup (or suspension or termination, depending on how many times you've been previously counseled).

It's not the ideal situation, but it doesn't happen every day, and even less so now that the city is finally tightening its belt and cutting down on OT budgets.

Your a city service without a union and seniority list?

Hockey

Quackers
Can't force somebody to come in for OT when you don't answer your phone

Its not that hard

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
My first EMS job, Hunter Ambulance-Ambulette(private), could give you a late job up to the end of your shift. North Shore LIJ, a hospital based NYC 911/interfacility agency had a cap on 16 consecutive hours plus late job. FDNY EMS also has a 16 hour cap on hours, and uses 8 hour shifts. When the KVO is in effect, you can sign up for three shifts for the month, and not be touched for that month. If not in effect, you're fair game. Charleston County EMS, a municipal third service 911 provider, has 24 hour shifts, and you can be held for up to 24 additional hours, capped at 48 hours, for any unit in the county, as frequently as they like. About twice monthly, you are subject for 12 hours of recall, should someone bang in. You aren't paid a stipend for having to stay local, only if you are called in. Fairfax County FRD has 24 hour shifts, with a 36 hour cap on consecutive hours. You may be infrequently recalled. It is rare. If you have plans(travel, MD appointment,etc), at morning lineup, you sign the "no hold or recall list", to get off at the end of your shift unscathed. In any event, if you're subject to mandatory recall, either don't answer your phone, or tell them you've had several alcoholic beverages since you've returned home. They can't really say anything, at that point. Unless it's in your contract, there is nothing stopping you from drinking alcohol after your shift. I'm not saying to get boxed after your shift, just say you did when they call.

Last edited by a moderator: