Lung Sounds Question

KempoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Hey all,

So I started my EMT-B class on Sunday and we learned vitals. The only thing I'm confused about what I am supposed to be hearing when I am listening too lung sounds. The instructors was like, You'll know what its supposed to sound like when you hear it. But How do I know if I am hearing it. If anybody can PM me a link to youtube with the sounds of a normal Lung sounds that would be awesome. Or describe it.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief

firecoins

IFT Puppet
take your stethescope and listen to yourself breath. My guess is that your lung sounds are clear. If you something different, you might be sick.

Hastings

Noobie
Hey all,

So I started my EMT-B class on Sunday and we learned vitals. The only thing I'm confused about what I am supposed to be hearing when I am listening too lung sounds. The instructors was like, You'll know what its supposed to sound like when you hear it. But How do I know if I am hearing it. If anybody can PM me a link to youtube with the sounds of a normal Lung sounds that would be awesome. Or describe it.

First of all, don't worry. I went through the same thing. What am I hearing? I don't hear anything weird. What IS weird?

Listening to normal lung sounds wont help you. What will help you is experience. That simple. There are two things you need to know how to hear as a Basic, and both are not "well, that could be..." cases. You WILL know it when you hear it. The two are wheezing and fluid in the lungs. Hearing both and differentiating between them will be relatively easy once you know where to listen, and will often be accompanied by a related medical history.

Jochempeiper

Forum Probie
I agree with Hastings. I have never been able to hear Normal Lung sounds, but I can hear abnormal lung sounds(wheezing, rales, Rhonchi, stridor, etc)

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant
I'm glad you guys are addressing this. I would be the guy who's totally stressed out that he's not hearing what he's supposed to hear. Now I'll have some peace of mind when class starts next week. :)

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
When I was learning my kids were little. Listening to your kids lungs when they have a cold is really helpful.