Lower back maintenance

mct601

RN/NRP
I have a minor issue with my L5/S1 (vertebrae is angulated, and at one point was putting pressure on the sciatic nerve). Its day to day, some days I feel 17 again some days I feel 45. I accept this as part of my life, but there is probably something I can do to improve the consistent day to day comfort.

What do you guys do on your off time to maintain a healthy lower back?

Stretches? Foam rollers? Light weight training? Nutritional changes (I notice hydration = improve comfort)

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
i often find that strengthining "opposite muscles" to your back helps a lot, a good core will go a long way. When i was playing sports in college my strength coach had us to do all of this ab work, then he had us do "good mornings" with 10 pounds. I would highly advise to not do a ton of weighted squats/deadlifts. Bodyweight possibly. Also a good stretch can go a long long long way. I find when i get a good stretch of my glutes and hamstrings and delts/ lats it takes an immense amount of pressure off my back. I would also reccomend giving yoga a shot, assuming you can get past the "girly" factor some people associate with it. good inserts for shoes/boots? i always called them "iron crosses":https://www.google.com/search?q=iro...UICSgC&biw=1280&bih=658#imgrc=0bIbdmvvJlKGeM:

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
As mentioned, back pain is largely a biproduct of weak core. If you are not looking to become a gym rat or buy expensive equipment, look into a TRX system. They are relatively cheap and super portable/adaptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indybourne45

Forum Ride Along
I have a minor issue with my L5/S1 (vertebrae is angulated, and at one point was putting pressure on the sciatic nerve). Its day to day, some days I feel 17 again some days I feel 45. I accept this as part of my life, but there is probably something I can do to improve the consistent day to day comfort.

What do you guys do on your off time to maintain a healthy lower back?

Stretches? Foam rollers? Light weight training? Nutritional changes (I notice hydration = improve comfort)
I've had great success using an inversion table. This was also recommended by my chiropractor.

daysquad

Forum Probie
Try to perform a 3-5 minute planking daily- This will increase the tone of your ab/back muscle. Just sharing because my doctor recommended me to perform this exercise.