loss of skills from no practice...

Infinity

Forum Crew Member
Ive been out of school for about 4 months and i feel likemy skills are slipping away. I try to go over them in my head and then realize i have no idea what to do even tho i know i learned it. How do i keep my skilld up... My book knowledge is great its just my skills.... Thanks.

OP
OP
I

Infinity

Forum Crew Member
You know, basic skills like cspine with a helmet and splinting. Its like little stupid stuff like how to gage a pulse i feel like im dumbing down.

Highlander

Forum Crew Member
I had a similar situation at one time. I was a nursing student at one point and my job i had at the time was really bad and the next semester I was taking off for a break, so i started a EMT-b class. After I completed the class however college started back up and I was way to busy to study for long periods of time and take the state certification test. However I tried to study once a day for like 15-40 mins with my text book, or a field guide for EMT's, and I also tried to do things physically so I knew what to do. roughly 4-5 months went by before I took the test but studying helped keep it fresh. I also did them in my mind, and had help from other EMTs. Hope that kinda helped.

wildrivermedic

Forum Crew Member
Can you go back and help with skills practice for the EMT class you took, or another class in your area? Explain that you'd like to keep your own skills up. As an EMT instructor I keep in touch with past students for this reason.

Otherwise just practice on your own friends, family, pets (not kidding, friendly large breed dogs are great for head-to-toes!).

BP cuffs and stethoscopes can be bought cheap. You can print off the skill sheets from the NREMT website to guide you, but then mix it up. How do you c-spine a patient not laying perfectly supine? etc.

Good luck!

Mariemt

Forum Captain
Open your book, its in there. Practice on a friend. Help out at the place you went to school.

grub

Forum Probie
Lost skills

I worked on a Helicopter for 2 years and lost a lot of skills. When ever we did a scene flight, the treatment was usually done. RSI is now open to the ground medics who have their CCP in our area and we don't even do that much...basically just transport and IFT's. 30 years in the business and I didn't think I would get rusty, but I did. Back boarding,splinting, chest decompressing and Iv's are usually done. They just needed a quick ride to the trauma Center.