Loose vs Lose

Vizior

Forum Crew Member
Ok, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not perfect when it comes to grammar, spelling, and punctuation. For some reason I always see people confusing loose and lose, on the internet and in professional writings. Am I the only person that goes insane from reading it all the time?

LOOSE

1 a: not rigidly fastened or securely attached b (1): having worked partly free from attachments <a loose tooth> (2): having relative freedom of movement c: produced freely and accompanied by raising of mucus <a loose cough> d: not tight-fitting
2 a: free from a state of confinement, restraint, or obligation <a lion loose in the streets> <spend loose funds wisely> b: not brought together in a bundle, container, or binding carchaic : disconnected, detached

LOSE

1 a: to bring to destruction —used chiefly in passive construction <the ship was lost on the reef> b: damn <if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul — Matthew 16:26(Authorized Version)>
2: to miss from one's possession or from a customary or supposed place
3: to suffer deprivation of : part with especially in an unforeseen or accidental manner

Of course, these definitions can be further expanded upon, search www.m-w.com for the full definitions. You cannot loose a baseball game, only lose it.

Sorry for the rant, but it's just one of the only grammar and punctuation pet peeves I have besides lol omgwtfbbq1!!1111! speak

NJN

The Young One
:beerchug: Here Here :beerchug:

Although I have been known to WTF, LOL, on occasion.

Blacke00

Forum Lieutenant
mostly see these in online games and forums, but "teh" and "pwn" make my eye twitch...

For those that don't know...

teh = the...common mis-type that turned trendy
pwn = own...same as above, as in "I pwned you!!"

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
My personal favorite site is www.dictionary.com they have a word of the day, translations, definitions, thesaurus and a daily crossword puzzle.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I swear to the Gods, Doctor, the patient got loose, I didn't lose him!

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
The improper use of loose and lose drives me nuts as well.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
The same as: " I would like to buy some wood that is stacked up by the garage."