Looking to relocate

sgoemt

Forum Probie
I'm sure this is probably in the wrong section, so I'll apologize in advance. I'll be finishing medic class in 9 weeks, and am beginning to look at other options regarding areas to work. I would like to know if any of you guys/ladies know of areas where I can work primarily 911 calls, without having to be a FF. I have alot of respect for FF's, just not interested myself. I'm trying to find a larger city to work in, but most areas have 3rd service that run mostly transport services. I don't mind the occasional dialysis transport, but after 8+ years of BLS runs, I'd like to use the skills and knowledge I'm learning. I've looked into Charlotte NC, and Wake Co NC so far. Any other suggestions?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
DFW area of Texas. We have everything from 3rd service to to private to fire based.

OP
OP
S

sgoemt

Forum Probie
Is the majority of 911 traffic fire based, or combination fire/3rd service?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Wake County EMS seems like a great place if I were looking for Paramedic employment. It's a relatively progressive EMS service that runs primarily 911 calls and it's in a great area that has weathered the economic depression better than most areas. Relatively good pay, good working environment, good equipment, and an opportunity to better oneself and for promotion seem like good things.

Good luck in your search!

cm4short

Forum Lieutenant
It looks like you're east coast so I'm not sure if you'd be willing of that much of a relocation. But California has a lot of private companies which operate 911. But, being a private provider, you'll still find yourself running IFT's to keep the revenue going. I'm just letting you know, but you may come to find that the CA EMS system sucks.

OP
OP
S

sgoemt

Forum Probie
Thanks for the info. Didn't mean to seem rude and not answer anyone, but I've been pulling clinical time the past few days, so I wasn't able to reply. I've checked into Wake Co and they seem very interesting. Question is, will they hire brand new medics? I love the Carolina's, and either north or south would be cool with me. I lived in Miami, then Naples Florida for awhile, and would love to go back, but I think most of the services there are fire based and require you to be a FF.

Anyone from Tennessee? That seems like a nice place. Took the kiddies there a couple times on vacation.

Maybe it seems like I'm grasping at straws here, but West Virginia is NOT the place I wanna work in. A lot of medics here think we are fairly advanced, but IMHO I disagree.

Thanks again for any and all replies.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Check out Alexandria Fire and EMS in VA. They're muni single role medics run by the FD. They start in the 40's per year, pension, 457, other bennies, the whole shebangabang. 24 hour days, XOOXOOOO. You work only twice every 8 days, but it's fairly constant work while you're there. You'll share quaters with suppression personnel. No residency requirement to my knowledge. You could even commute from West Va if you want to.

All other professional 911 EMS agencies here in NOVA are fire based dual role otherwise with the exception of flight.

If you want to be a cop, you could try and get on with the MD state troopers, and eventually qualify for their medevac program.

If you want to learn real busy, nasty inner city 911 ALS the way I did, go to NY, do a challenge refresher while you work as an ER tech at a hosp for 20/hr (NREMT-P not honored) and join either the FDNY EMS (easy hire) or any of the local 911 participating hospitals (difficult to get your foot in the door).

cfd3091

Forum Crew Member
The Charlotte area is real busy and growing. Even with the stalled economy Cabarrus just hired some people. Most of the Fire Dept.'s are First Responder so if your a Medic and want to do ALS you have to work for EMS Agency.I moved here from N.Y. and love it.

FFMedic75

Forum Crew Member
Stay out of South Carolina, it's awful here. I've heard good things about New Hanover County in NC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedylifsavr

Forum Probie
Manatee County EMS is a great place to work . Just North of Naples on the west coast of Florida . We are a very progressive county based EMS service with 18 stations . We have state retirement and great bennys . We handle all the 911 calls in the county and there is a private service here that handles a large majority of the interfacility stuff . We have great equipment and an awesome Med Dir . There are 8 fire districts within the county who are BLS/fire who run with us on high priority medical calls and all vehicle accidents . The lead medic on the ambulance calls the shots on all patient care .

We have a joint program with the Sheriffs office who cross train us in Law Enforcement to be tactical medics/SWAT if you have any interest there . We carry our sidearms on the unit and have full arresting powers in the presence of a deputy .

For the most part we do a 2 station rotation busy/not so busy . Its a great set-up . We our housed within the seperate fire stations and have great repor with all the departments .

Let me know if you have any other questions .

SoCal

Forum Crew Member
Speedy- you got a link to your company's website or protocols? and based on your salary are you pretty comfortable living situation wise?