Looking to move to Portland OR and work as a medic, advice?

Madball

Forum Probie
So I have decided to move from the bay area, CA to Portland, OR. I just got my NREMT-P a few months ago, and have 3 years experience working as an EMT-B with a non-emergency ambulance company. Can anyone tell me what companies are up there? i've done some research but can't find many good websites. Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Do you have an AS degree? OR requires that you have a degree to get an OR state paramedic license.

OP
OP
M

Madball

Forum Probie
I do, it's in fire science. Does it have to be in anything in peticular?

NorCal

Forum Crew Member
So I have decided to move from the bay area, CA to Portland, OR.

This is a very interesting topic because I have been contemplating a move to Oregon myself.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
I think the AAS degree can be substituted with experience but I am not sure, Schulz a member here is a paramedic in Oregon and would have much more information on this topic, send him a message.

Last edited by a moderator:

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes, any degree is sufficient as long as it is from accredited college.

Also, if you have been a paramedic prior to 1999, you are allowed to be grandfathered in and receive reciprocity.

OP
OP
M

Madball

Forum Probie
@Norcal- Where you looking to go? Are you a medic or a basic?

@CAOX3- Thanks! I'll send him a PM

@akflightmedic- That's good to know, yeah its a 2 year degree from a community college.

NorCal

Forum Crew Member
@Norcal- Where you looking to go? Are you a medic or a basic?

Neither at the moment. I'm taking the first responder, and well see from there where I want to take it. I already have an AA degree and I'm 11 months from completing my BS degree; so I have time to figure it out.

As for where in Oregon, I'm thinking somewhere outside or Portland or Medford possibly.

Last edited by a moderator:

omak42

Forum Crew Member
So I have decided to move from the bay area, CA to Portland, OR. I just got my NREMT-P a few months ago, and have 3 years experience working as an EMT-B with a non-emergency ambulance company. Can anyone tell me what companies are up there? i've done some research but can't find many good websites. Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Madball:
Not sure if you have moved there yet or not.....I am from the Vancouver, WA area and know a little from what Ive heard from others.....in the immediate vacinity you have AMR and MetroWest that provide transports, as well as a few really really small companies. Out of any of those AMR is by far the best. Everyone that I know that has worked at MetroWest has HATED it. Depending on what county you work in you will have either a second medic as a partner of an EMT-basic. If you are looking at fire, pretty much everything around this is held in high regard from everyone that I know in the area. Portland Fire I believe just did a testing process, so it will probably be another two years. Tualitin Valley Fire & Rescue is pretty good, however I think they just did/are doing a testing process. At the airport you have Port of Portland Fire, which is a gravy job in which you can make good money (I started testing with them about a year and a half ago, but dropped because I wasnt going to be able to work as a medic there due to lack of AAS and didnt want to practice in lower scope....) Hope this helps. Any questions let me know, I have plenty of contacts!