Looking for EMTs to hire in oil field industry. Need Advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

weblogic

Forum Probie
Hi everyone.

We are a Texas company that provides services to the Oil and Gas Industry. We are striking up a deal with a large customer that is going to ask us to place EMTs on location. I wanted to get some input from you guys that will certainly help me.

Here are some specifics of the job:

Full Time Employee (8 needed to start)
2 Weeks On/2 Weeks Off rotation (or maybe 3/3)
Transportation Cost to/from location: paid by individual
Housing: Provided (Bunk with concurrent EMT partner)
Activity: Low. Only needed in emergency situations and any basic first aid help

With the above stated. What would it take to get reliable and experienced EMT on board? $300/day $400/day

Can an EMT stock and administer the following? Albuterol, Epi Pens, Oral Glucose

Thanks for your help. I do appreciate any feedback.

CFal

Forum Captain
I havn't seen ND's protocalls, but here EMT's can assist with Albuterol that a patient is proscribed and can use Epi and Oral glucose

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I work industrial on the Canadian side. Every company I have ever seen or heard of provided transportation to site...\ some even cover flights. Pay can range from 300 to 900 a day depending on license level and experience. Not sure how helpful this is but the rest you had was par for the course. Most EMT jobs are minimum wage or just above... 400 a day for a basic seems like pretty good money .

OP
OP
weblogic

weblogic

Forum Probie
I'm just not sure yet what it takes to be an EMT in N. Dakota. I'm sure there is a state license that is needed. You think? Is that how it works on private industrial jobs like this one mentioned? Do I need to look to hire EMTs in N. Dakota only? Or can out-of-state EMT arrive and go to work?

Well, we can go up to $500/day for an EMT B. But the employee would need years of verifiable experience to be at that pay grade.

Thanks for the tip on the 'transportation'. I will write that one down.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Any employee working in the state would need a state cert or license . With what you are willing to pay... I bet a lot of ppl would be willing to travel.

Our transportation to site is from my companies head office. Drive can range from 30 min to 10 hours. Some sites are fly in fly out. I work for a medic company that is contracted by the oil companies.

You would also need a medical director for your emts to work under.

OP
OP
weblogic

weblogic

Forum Probie
You would also need a medical director for your emts to work under.

Hmmm. Didn't know that. I obviously have more research to do on my end. I wonder what salary would be required to get one of these on board? Any ideas?

CFal

Forum Captain
The EMT licensure is considered the minimum training level for Basic Life Support (BLS) ambulance attendants. Many other occupations utilize the training to augment their services such as athletic trainers, security personnel, law enforcement officers and firefighters. North Dakota utilizes the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT) certification standards, however an EMT must also hold a ND license in order to legally work within the state. The State Emergency Medical Technician (State EMT) is the North Dakota equivalent of an NREMT. North Dakota may issue State EMT licensure to persons under the age of 18 who do not meet the minimum age requirement for National Registration but have completed all the same requirements necessary to become an NREMT. All of the training, testing, certification, re-certification and licensure requirements are identical to an NREMT.

http://www.ndhealth.gov/ems/personnel.html

for out of state emts:
http://www.ndhealth.gov/ems/pdfs/reciprocity.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
You may also want to look into OSHA or similar standards for the state and what the minimum first aid standards are.

Medical directors - I have no idea what one would charge .

OP
OP
weblogic

weblogic

Forum Probie
North Dakota utilizes the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT) certification standards, however an EMT must also hold a ND license in order to legally work within the state.

CFal, Thanks for your time and effort on this. I do appreciate it.

So, with what you said above, it looks like an EMT that is licensed in California or Texas or wherever, can easily get their ND license just by registering with ND? If that's that case, it would be a much easier venture for us.

Again, thanks for the info.

OP
OP
weblogic

weblogic

Forum Probie
You may also want to look into OSHA or similar standards for the state and what the minimum first aid standards are.

Medical directors - I have no idea what one would charge .

Thank you Sir! I appreciate your help.

Keep the 'you must have these' tips coming. I can use them all.

CFal

Forum Captain
http://www.ndhealth.gov/ems/qru.html
Quick Response Units (QRU) are organizations that provide care to patients while an ambulance is enroute to the scene of an emergency. They may be organized as part of a law enforcement agency, a fire department or a stand alone agency whose only purpose is to provide quick response services. QRUs do not transport patients. QRUs must be affiliated with an ambulance service or operate under the guidance of their own medical director.

requirements:
http://www.legis.nd.gov/information/acdata/pdf/33-11-01.1.pdf?20130402151221

application:
http://www.ndhealth.gov/ems/pdfs/Application_for_Licensure_-_QRUEX.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
If you need a basic let me know and I'll get my north Dakota EMT! And everyone else has given you good info. On a side node doesn't Falck do oil rig safety?

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Isn't North Dakota in the middle of a giant boom with menial jobs around the oil fields paying 100k a year. This was heavily covered in Newsweek and Wall Street journal.

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
How long of a contract period are you looking at? I've never had to pay my own transportation, but if the pay was right and it was a good rotation/contract period I probably would. I like a 2/2 rotation, but that's just me. Its also a good perk(especially if you refuse to pay for travel) to have a contract completion bonus. When are you looking for?

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Most companies up here also supply ppe, coveralls , vest, helmet, etc or anything specific to site.

Will your guys be in a clinic setting or out of a truck?

Sites up here also use RNs or OH-RNs for bigger plants.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Feel free to contact me off line.

I am a medical business owner and could assist you with placement.

First of all, you do have a lot of homework to do. Second of all, it sounds like your best bet at this time is to outsource the staffing to a company which can ensure you meet all legal requirements and provide you with endless pool of applicants and a medical director. I do know of one company in particular.... :)

If you do not reach out, just know this...your wages are HIGH, especially for an EMT Basic. You need some information on what the market is right now and what you quotes is pretty darn high!

I am here, otherwise good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.