Longest-serving paramedic

OP
OP
zzyzx

zzyzx

Forum Captain
Wow, those stories are amazing. I thought that my friend might be the longest-serving medic, but I guess not!

A few years back I read a story in the L.A. Times about people who've worked at their jobs long past retirement. They profiled one guy who was still working for the L.A. transit service, where he had started in the 1930s!

Back when I did my internship with L.A. City Fire, on my very first morning I came in very early and the only guy at the station was this really old guy in civilian clothes sitting at the kitchen table drinking his coffee and reading the paper. I thought, Oh, how cool, this old guy must be a volunteer who used to be a firefighter. I was going to ask him how he liked volunteering. It's a good thing I didn't, because he later changed into his uniform. He was a chief who'd been working as a firefighter since 1948!

By the way, welcome Rock Doc. Hope to hear some of your war stories!

clibb

Forum Captain
I thought that the first actual Paramedics started in the late 60's in the US. So, honestly there can't be a Paramedic before then. Army or Navy doesn't count.
We are talking about Paramedicine training to treat civilians. Or we can start dating stuff back to the 1600s. "Well my great great great great grandpa had a horse and wagon which he drove around and treated people in." -- Doesn't work.

Smoke14

Forum Crew Member
I am feeling like a young pup here. I made my first ambulance run in 1977 and became a paramedic in 1980. I have been staffing an ambulance full time for 34 years this July.

And I still love this job.

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
I am feeling like a young pup here. I made my first ambulance run in 1977 and became a paramedic in 1980. I have been staffing an ambulance full time for 34 years this July.

And I still love this job.

Young pup?! You became a paramedic 5 years before I was born!:ph34r: