long IFT

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I can understand the high costs for helicopter transport. What about fixed wing? From what I understand it's considerably cheaper.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Those prices ($15,000-18,000) were for fixed wing. It's not cheaper than helicopters because of the longer distances (read as: greater fuel burn) unless you're looking at a time based or distance based (per mile) rate. Even with a turboprop, going from Indy to Florida is going to set the company back about $6K-7K for fuel and other expenses.

Farmer2DO

Forum Captain
I've done many from near Buffalo to just north of NYC. The company had the interfacility transport contract for NYS Dept of Corrections. Those were some interesting transports, as they were all female, maximum security inmate. Approx 390 miles one way.

The current employer routinely does Rochester NY to Cleveland OH (270 miles), Pittsburgh PA (290 miles), and NYC (375 miles).

I love long distance transfers.

btkspot89

Forum Probie
My company just did a trip from Central New Jersey to South Carolina. They at least paid for the hotel after we dropped the patient off. That was the longest trip I have ever done and I ll never do it again.

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
aw man, you guys are all beating me. the longest i've done is UCSF to Fresno. cool patient- nice old man, very enjoyable trip to tech!

Medic2409

Forum Lieutenant
DFW to S. Austin and DFW to Galveston have been my two longest.

The bad thing about both of them, was they came in late in the PM, after a busy day, and we ended up getting back home around 5 or 6 AM both times.