Local/Community EMS Benefits

EMTrigger

Forum Probie
I want to find out what benefits your community gives EMS personnel.

In my town we don't get very much,
-15% discount on the dry cleaning we use
-discounts at Petco
-discounts on video rentals if we show our ID's

JPINFV

Gadfly
Only thing I can think of is the local movie theater chain (Edwards Theaters, now a part of Regal Entertainment Group) gave couty fire fighters and police free tickets M-Th. Besides that, a bunch of the local hospitals give free food to ambulance personnal.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
I would be ashamed if some of the medics in my area were to receive gratuities. Don't get me wrong, I think quite highly of the crews. But here some paramedics are making upwards $100,000 a year with salaries and overtime. Then added to that is a 100% paid health insurance plan. Oh, that includes dependents too!

Not bad for working nine days a month!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I get the benefit of being woke up at odd hours of the day and night. That's about it.

Oh, and one gas station in town gives us free coffee.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
There's a movie theatre who gives all city/county employees admission for $1 if you buy a regular priced ticket. (Some restrictions do apply) A local church has a program where they do a 'Thank you Meal' for different agencies. They will either pay for a meal at your facility or make food and bring it to you. They say its just to show appreciation for what we do and not done on a regular basis.

I think there's a difference between appreciation and gratuities. All goes to intent and how its done. I would never accept a gratuity. But, when the local restaurant brought food to an all night close the highway down MVA with fatalities, you bet I ate!

NJN

The Young One
Benefits, what is this you speak of? I just enjoy getting the respect of the community, and as what FFEMT said, getting woken up at odd hours. The Dunkin Donuts gives us a 10% discount. Thats about it, except being on duty is the only time i have ever ran out of a restaurant mid meal, with out paying, only to come back and see that they've been keeping it warm for us.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
I'm not really sure, half the time i can't remember to ask for the discount if their is one. Everybodys gotta make a living, even if it is over priced you don't like it go else where. But im sure Dunkin' Donuts gives some thing.:rolleyes:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Only thing I can think of is the local movie theater chain (Edwards Theaters, now a part of Regal Entertainment Group) gave couty fire fighters and police free tickets M-Th.

To be clear about this one, the reason why I know about it is because I used to work for Edwards as a box office cashier.

OP
OP
EMTrigger

EMTrigger

Forum Probie
You wouldn't take a dicount off gas?

Summit

Critical Crazy
Discounts on outdoor gear that are also offered to other outdoor professionals

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I've got no problem having a VERY RARE free coffee/tea at the local convenience store chain... often chatting with the police who congregate there ;). Every store in the chain gives PD free coffee... it is rare when I get the discount. I've worked with people who assume they will get the discount and ARGUE over it. (WTF?). If I'm not asked to pay, I won't... but I also recognize that everyone needs to make money, so I've got no problem paying.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Free Starbucks
50% off at several local food establishments
Discounted Gym membership
Discounted cellular service

Just to name a few.......................

DBieniek

Forum Crew Member
Most local business owners give us anywhere from 10-50% off of purchases whereas the major chains (wendys, burger king, mcdonalds, etc) typically go anywhere between 5-15%. Either way I'm not complaining, a discount is a discount right?

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
the only thing I've found so far is 50% off of Krystal (like White Castle) AKA gut bombs which I wouldnt dare eat while on duty!!!!

LE-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
As a Law Enforcement officer sure we were offered all kinds of things for discounted prices or even free. We couldn't ever except them and for reason. The appreciation meals were always a blessing and a different story. I have seen people argue about a free cup of coffee or a discounted meal. Its a sad state of affairs when you abuse your authority in such a manor.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I would be ashamed if some of the medics in my area were to receive gratuities. Don't get me wrong, I think quite highly of the crews. But here some paramedics are making upwards $100,000 a year with salaries and overtime. Then added to that is a 100% paid health insurance plan. Oh, that includes dependents too!

Not bad for working nine days a month!

any job openings?:mellow:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I've worked with people who assume they will get the discount and ARGUE over it. (WTF?). If I'm not asked to pay, I won't... but I also recognize that everyone needs to make money, so I've got no problem paying.

I have the same types around here making hat assumption. I don't assume I should get a discount.

It makes no sense to give discounts to cops who make $100,000 and volunteer firefighters and not to the volunteer EMS. I mentioned in another post, 1 place considered us nurses. WTF?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I have the same types around here making hat assumption. I don't assume I should get a discount.

It makes no sense to give discounts to cops who make $100,000 and volunteer firefighters and not to the volunteer EMS. I mentioned in another post, 1 place considered us nurses. WTF?

Wow! You can tell the difference in geography. Our cops makes less than medics. The average salary for a rookie cop is about $19,000 year.

R/r 9111

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmmmm.... once in awhile a discount on our meals, but most of the time we do get a Thank you! ^_^ I wish we could get a discount at Starbucks!!;)