Lift Tests in OC on the Easy Side?

rperks

Forum Ride Along
Hi,

I know I'll probably get some negative feedback on this but oh well.

I went through the whole application process with Americare a couple months ago but failed the Lift Test. I was able to do the 40lbs to chest, 90lbs up and down stairs, but not the 140lb waist lift and only reached like ~94% on the lift test (need 110%).

I've been working out since then but I'm still deathly afraid that it's not enough and I still can't do it. That being said, are there any companies in Orange County that have an easier lift test?

Thank you

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
That sounds like a typical entry level lift test that is on the easy side of tings. You need to realize that most of the patients you will encounter will weigh more than 140 pounds. The average American weighs significantly more than 140 points. The part of society that EMS deals with most frequently, generally weighs significantly more than that. The lift tests gauge your ability to lift someone who is quite light in ideal conditions. In reality, you will lift heavy people and carry them through packrat conditions, in the mud, down rotting stairs, ect. If you are unable to do that lift test, how are you going to lift one of those patients? Lifting is an essential part of EMS. As much as technology has progressed, we still carry around people every day. If you can not lift, you put yourself, your partner, and the patient all at risk for permanent injury or even death in some cases. If you are unable to complete that type of lift test, even after working out, consult a doctor, personal trainer, etc. for advice on what to do. DO NOT TAKE SHORTCUTS. Do not seek out a company with lower standards just so you can work as an EMT knowing your lifting skills lacking. That is dangerous and unethical. The patients weigh just as much at that company as they do anywhere, gravity works the same, and your back can still go out. Imagine how you would feel dropping a patient and causing significant injury after seeking out a job without a lift test. Sorry if this post seems harsh, but there are certain entry level standards we all need to meet to make sure we maintain the safest conditions for ourselves, our partners, and our patients. Back injuries are no joke and have ended many EMS careers worldwide.

ego

Forum Crew Member
Agree with CentralCalEMT. If you still have difficulty look at something such as Starting Strenght. you are not far of the level needed and getting your muscles adapted to the lifts by using a program such as Starting Strenght. should make you able to pass it within a month easily.