Lift Test

AaronMRT

Forum Probie
My local ambulance requires being able to lift at least 100 lbs.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't care who it takes out of service, my back is worth more than an ALS rig, a fire engine, or the fricken pope if you have to call him I don't care. If I don't feel safe lifting for any reason I will remain on scene until our assist comes. Requiring a specific weight will just lead to people getting hurt. We do have a lift assessment however there is never a question if we call for an assist. Our company is more interested in keeping us healthy than making a dime, I know many companies aren't operated with that mindset so variation of lifting ideas is understandable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't care who it takes out of service, my back is worth more than an ALS rig, a fire engine, or the fricken pope if you have to call him I don't care. If I don't feel safe lifting for any reason I will remain on scene until our assist comes. Requiring a specific weight will just lead to people getting hurt. We do have a lift assessment however there is never a question if we call for an assist. Our company is more interested in keeping us healthy than making a dime, I know many companies aren't operated with that mindset so variation of lifting ideas is understandable.

My first Paramedic Partner had back problems up the wazoo. I was working my second or third shift with him when he went down while we were "lifting" (more like pulling) a 200lbs patient from the gurney to the hospital bed. I have a bad back that I attribute partly to bad genetics and partly to the time the two of us on an IFT tried to move the 400+ pounder on our own. NOT SMART! Take no chances when it comes to future back issues. They can end you EMS future fast. Just because we can lift 150 lbs (or whatever) doesn't means we should. A lift test should only prove that you are strong enough to assist in the movement on a reasonably sized patient (~your weight). But, IMHO, you shound never try to lift more than half your weight by yourself... you may be able to do it... but it ain't good for you in the long run. That's why I love Fire to be on scene; many hands make the load light and saves my back.

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
For my lift test I had to lift 100lbs of weights in a box from the ground to my waist (that was the most important thing to pass) and also had to bench 100lbs and pull down 100lbs as well as carry 50lbs down the hallway and back.

Had to do that, along with push 275lbs and then pull it back.