Let em sleep!!

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
If they wake up to the tone, page, or whatever is used to dispatch them to post or calls, then I am okay with them sleeping. I feel like people expect us to be patrolling the county looking for somebody having a heart attack or something, lol.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did hear the car horn or whatever, but just ignored it.

Angel

Paramedic
at least dont sleep in public view! find somewhere isolated.
still though, the public needs to be educated a bit more, but thatll never happen

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
There are not many other jobs that one can go to and hope for a nap. I hate it when my partner complains in the ER about only getting an hour or two of sleep during a 12-16 hour shift. You can see the staff roll their eyes and say what ever.

As Angel said if you have to post in your truck. Find a place to hide.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Isn't there a thread about this article already?

I know most FDs have policies about no sleeping between certain hours unless you were up all night running calls and even then they're not sleeping the day away.

It's not super difficult to stay awake for a 12 hour shift however if you're allowed to sleep why not pick somewhere more private?

I'd be lying if I said I don't sleep dying my 16s sometimes. As an FTO I do 100% of the driving, driving for 16 hours is brutal so when I get the chance if I have nothing to review or go over with my trainee I will close my eyes for a few.

I agree that they very well could've heard the horn and just ignored it but personally I probably would've gotten out of the truck to see what the person wanted to make sure there wasn't something crazy going on.

This job is all about public perception and unfortunately many would view this as inappropriate.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
I find it interesting that the guy was arrested for a suspended license, yet in the interview he says that he was sitting in a car and blowing the horn at the crew.

Where I work sleeping on the job is technically against policy, but it's understood that crews do it routinely. Our supervisors just ask that we try to do it out of sight.