Lenoir Community College online medic program?

treyford2008

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys I'm still looking into some of my options for paramedic school. Lenoir Community College out of NC has an online paramedic program that requires 20 straight days of nothing but hands on training and 500 clinical hours. Has anyone been to this school or know anything about it?

Note: I'm not looking for a debate on traditional vs. online just reviews of the school.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmmm....interesting model. Not sure how I feel about it, but I admire your desire to go to medic school. Have you taken classes like Human Biology, A&P, and such?

OP
OP
T

treyford2008

Forum Ride Along
Not yet, I want to see what is included in the tuition before I spend extra money on classes that may be included with the school I decide to take. I want to take evening classes around here, but the closest is over 1 hr away and I just can't drive 2 hrs and 4 hrs of class 3 times a week right now. I have found several online formats that would work better with my schedule and people seem to have a lot of success with the schools so I am just looking into which would be best for myself.

marcus2011

Forum Crew Member
Not yet, I want to see what is included in the tuition before I spend extra money on classes that may be included with the school I decide to take. I want to take evening classes around here, but the closest is over 1 hr away and I just can't drive 2 hrs and 4 hrs of class 3 times a week right now. I have found several online formats that would work better with my schedule and people seem to have a lot of success with the schools so I am just looking into which would be best for myself.

This is actually my school that I go to, I also teach basic there. The program is fast paced and very intense especially since your doing all that time at once. It all depends on who your instructors are. Them 20 days will be nothing but skills and letter classes like ACLS, ASLS, ECG, ATT, PALS. The majority of your class work will be done online. All in all it is a good program for some, and bad for others.

OP
OP
T

treyford2008

Forum Ride Along
This is actually my school that I go to, I also teach basic there. The program is fast paced and very intense especially since your doing all that time at once. It all depends on who your instructors are. Them 20 days will be nothing but skills and letter classes like ACLS, ASLS, ECG, ATT, PALS. The majority of your class work will be done online. All in all it is a good program for some, and bad for others.

Can you PM me? I have several questions for you about the program. Thanks!

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
I just finished Lenoir's distance program and I would be happy to offer any information you might want. I was third class through so things have likely changed a little.

Jambi

I should add that I am eligible for the NREMT exam and have the skills scheduled for later this month. I am also qualified to sit for the NC state exam for licensure if I had wanted. California requires all medics in the state have NREMT for initial licensure (in and out of state), thus I am waiting to take the exams.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skittles

Forum Probie
Are you able to live in another state and complete this class? I didn't see anything in the link about distance education.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
It was actually a great course, though much of what it wants or not wants done with stroke patients falls outside of typical protocols.

mini rundown: No dextrose unless bgl <50/dl, oxygen titrate to a max of spo2 95%, must treat within 4 hours last seen normal, but t-PA within one hour is goal. must have CT to confirm stroke.

Three things checked on scene

Cranial nerves: Facial droop
verbal response: "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"
Motor: grips

one positve = 60%ish chance of stroke
two postive = 85%ish chance of stroke
three postive = they didn't bother with

tawnymarie

Forum Probie
Hey guys I'm still looking into some of my options for paramedic school. Lenoir Community College out of NC has an online paramedic program that requires 20 straight days of nothing but hands on training and 500 clinical hours. Has anyone been to this school or know anything about it?

Note: I'm not looking for a debate on traditional vs. online just reviews of the school.

Did you find out more about how the program works? How much time do you spend at the actual college? Is it split up? I couldn't find out the schedule portion on the LCC website.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
For questions about any Lenoir program I suggest you email or call Wesley Carter. He is an awesome guy and will be happy to answer your questions.

The schedule when I went through the program was 3 seperate trips of 4 days each. So, with travel and any extra time you spend in the ER's about a week at a time.

I would highly recommend spending some time at their local ED just see what it's about versus west coast. It's the same, but different.

jeffy

Forum Ride Along
I finish up the LCC Paramedic Academy on the 19th. It is a good program if you are a self starter, motivated and dont mind the work. Just be ready to invest some time into it every day.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
I finish up the LCC Paramedic Academy on the 19th. It is a good program if you are a self starter, motivated and dont mind the work. Just be ready to invest some time into it every day.

Yup, that was my take on it too.

BTW, the new fangled on-line paramedic school taking person just passed the NREMT exam. The proctor looked at me like I was insane when I walked out of there in 30 minutes :p

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief

I was not a fan of the level of pharmacology, cardiology, and airway management knowledge of the students coming out of the program.

That being said, I know some solid students from there...they just ride constantly to make up for the slack in the program.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
ASLS? Haven't heard of that one yet.

Edit: Advanced Stroke Life Support
http://www.asls.net/introduction.html

Wonderful course. You're introduced to the MEND exam, which improves upon the LAPSS/CPSS. You also get far deeper into an understanding of the pathological changes with various types of strokes (cerebellar vs a more traditional ischemic vs SAH).

Pro's: it's like an ACLS that teaches you the WHY rather than rote memorization of a protocol.

Con's: you may leave feeling a bit helpless when it comes to making a "big difference" in your stroke patients.

You probably were already providing the appropriate prehospital care (not many changes per ASLS, at least in our area), instead you'll just know a whole lot more about strokes! Basically, you'll become a rock star at identifying patients who are going to have bad outcomes.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
I was not a fan of the level of pharmacology, cardiology, and airway management knowledge of the students coming out of the program.

That being said, I know some solid students from there...they just ride constantly to make up for the slack in the program.

I can see that as learning is student driven versus instructor driven, which can be a huge issue for many entering EMS, but don't get me started on standards.

What exactly were the issues you had? I'd be interested in knowing.

I went into the program with a lot of science (A&P, MicroBio, Chem, Math, etc) and mostly done with a bachelors, and I don't get how a basic A&P course along with the stuff in the medic program itself is adequate for the what the final product is supposed to be. :blink:

jamorris64

Forum Ride Along
Instructor at Lenoir Community College

Hello, I am one of the eight full time instructors with Lenoir Community College. Feel free to email or PM me with any questions about our programs. We offer various level of certification training including being an UMBC site for CCEMTPsm and PNCCTsm.

Thanks,

jeffy

Forum Ride Along
Passed the written exit exam and TSOPs today. I will tell anyone who thinks a hybrid course is a pushover.........that was one of the hardest tests that I have ever sat. Scheduled my state test for Sept 8 and hopefully after that I will be a fresh baked medic credentialed in the state of NC.

Also want to thank James for all of the effort he put into teaching the course and for giving his class his personal cell number so that we could reach him when ever needed.