Latex-free BP cuff REALLY necessary?

Pseudonymous

Forum Crew Member
I bought a prestige medical aneroid blood pressure cuff from the workn'gear where I live, so I could practice taking BP. Only problem is, it has a latex inflation system. Now when I went to buy a stethoscope, the training center made it seem like a big deal, that it be latex-free. No store within 10 miles sells a latex-free BP cuff. In fact, they didn't know that one existed. Prestige medical DOES list a latex free one online, (I've seen it on ambulances, and in the training center) but they don't sell their products directly, you have to buy it from a retailer that sells Prestige Medical products. And like I said, no store has ever even heard of one.

My question is, do I really need latex-free? Mostly I'll use it at home, but I might use it at several fire companies where I practice with a study group, and with a bunch of people I won't know too well.

Should I just stick with the one I have?

medic417

The Truth Provider
If for yourself you get what you want. If using it for work you get what they say.

Is latex a serious allergy? Yes. Some people will go into anaphylaxis with even smaller amounts of latex than your BP cuff will have.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Is it a latex bladder inside of cuff made of another material? If so, I don't think it's particularly important. I think that allergic reactions to latex only occur with contact with latex, so if the latex component doesn't actually come into contact with anyone's skin, it shouldn't be a problem.

(This is my suspicion, I'm not saying that this is a fact. I could be wrong.)

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
If you are going to use it on anyone you don't know to well just ask if they have an allergy, personally, i have a BP cuff with latex, but it stays in my house usually, i only use it at home, and when i was in class i used it. with allergies nowadays i stick with all non latex everything, i CT, its illegal for an ambulance to carry latex gloves now. Definitely use yours for practice, but like i said find out if the person has an allergy pr not.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Is it a latex bladder inside of cuff made of another material? If so, I don't think it's particularly important. I think that allergic reactions to latex only occur with contact with latex, so if the latex component doesn't actually come into contact with anyone's skin, it shouldn't be a problem.

(This is my suspicion, I'm not saying that this is a fact. I could be wrong.)

Yes you are incorrect.

OP
OP
Pseudonymous

Pseudonymous

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'll just go ahead and only use it on family/ friends, and ask if they're allergic. ^_^

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes you are incorrect.

So someone with a latex allergy will get a reaction if they're even just in the presence of latex? If it's not actually touching them?

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
So someone with a latex allergy will get a reaction if they're even just in the presence of latex? If it's not actually touching them?
makes sense, some people have severe allergies whereas some it will not bother.

EMS49393

Forum Captain

Yes they can. I happen to be one of them. It is a very big deal and a serious allergy rivaled by bee stings and nuts. Latex is can have a very fine dust come off of it that will penetrate a lot of fabrics.

You know what's embarrassing? Anaphylaxis from a bra. At work. :blush: I can't even use rubber bands. This allergy is really a pain in the *****.

Interestingly though, there seems to be a correlation between latex, banana, and avocado allergies.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Yes they can. I happen to be one of them. It is a very big deal and a serious allergy rivaled by bee stings and nuts. Latex is can have a very fine dust come off of it that will penetrate a lot of fabrics.

You know what's embarrassing? Anaphylaxis from a bra. At work. :blush: I can't even use rubber bands. This allergy is really a pain in the *****.

Interestingly though, there seems to be a correlation between latex, banana, and avocado allergies.

Tropical trees. Of course!

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus

I know a guy who went into anaphylaxis just from someone opening a set of sterile latex gloves in the same room he was in.

I developed a latex allergy, luckily it isn't too bad, but every time I am re-exposed it gets worse. The less latex I come near, the better because avoiding it means I may be able to prevent developing an anaphylactic reaction.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Tropical trees. Of course!

Well, actually I don't know. Latex allergies are also lined to pineapple, chestnut, kiwi, mango, passion fruit, strawberry and soy, in addition to avocado and banana.

Granted most of them are tropical fruits......