Language Barriers...

spisco85

Forum Lieutenant
How have you guys handled deaf and mute people when encountering them? I have had a string of incidents where I used broken sign language and writing things on a piece of paper to learn what the chief complaint of the patient was. Maybe I should go learn how to sign?

On top of that how do you help someone who's language you don't understand let alone recognize?

reaper

Working Bum
How have you guys handled deaf and mute people when encountering them? I have had a string of incidents where I used broken sign language and writing things on a piece of paper to learn what the chief complaint of the patient was. Maybe I should go learn how to sign?

On top of that how do you help someone who's language you don't understand let alone recognize?

I do my assessment. The body is the same, no matter what language they speak.

Writing questions on paper is a good way to deal with it. Or, you can learn every language there is and be really prepared!

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain

I think writing things down is an excellent way to communicate with deaf or mute patients. For patients that speak another language I tend to use family if they are available and speak English. If not I make signals, sometimes I draw pictures. I do whatever I can to make a good connection with the patient, I don't do anything unless we are on the same page.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I sign some, badly. My favorite sign is the one for "Slow down" because I have to use it frequently when communicating with the deaf. Hospitals generally have translation services. If you let them know, you can have someone waiting to translate by the time you arrive. Otherwise, everything stated already.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I like pictograms.

Like drawing a picture of a person, having them point then drawing some descriptors like a fire for burning, etc.

if there is a large group in your area that speaks a particular language, you may want to get a note pad to keep with you and have a few of the commonly used phrases in it. In time you will no longer need it.

I will just caution you on relying on relatives to translate. The pt may not tell them the full story and may skip parts they find embaressing.

HasTy

Forum Lieutenant
In my area we have a lot of hmong refugees and a lot of Mexican immigrants... so in high school I took two years of Spanish however I learned more Spanish by speaking it in the country of Mexico for six weeks. Anyway as far as sign language I never had a problem with that because my Brother was Downs Syndrome and that was sometimes how we communicated.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Trying to be the rebel I am, I took German in highschool because I lived in Michigan and there was a decent German population there.

Low and behold, I moved to Texas, with only 1 'year' of Spanish back in 4th grade. If I need to communicate with someone that doesn't speak English, I yell really loudly!

Just kidding. I actually try to do body language, like point to different things to see if they understand what I'm trying to say. Works the majority of the time, but not very specific on medical things.

We really need an English test to be living in the US... this INCLUDES native speakers. What passes for English here is appalling. :p

medic417

The Truth Provider
Trying to be the rebel I am, I took German in highschool because I lived in Michigan and there was a decent German population there.

Low and behold, I moved to Texas, with only 1 'year' of Spanish back in 4th grade. If I need to communicate with someone that doesn't speak English, I yell really loudly!

Just kidding. I actually try to do body language, like point to different things to see if they understand what I'm trying to say. Works the majority of the time, but not very specific on medical things.

We really need an English test to be living in the US... this INCLUDES native speakers. What passes for English here is appalling. :p

Texas has a large German speaking community as well. But if you can't speak spainish don't move to the state of Texas, Mexico.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't really care that much about the patients. I just learned Spanish because so many Mexican chicks are really hott.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Texas has a large German speaking community as well. But if you can't speak spainish don't move to the state of Texas, Mexico.

Yeah, I know there are plenty of Germans here, but they are more westerly then I'm willing to drive to use my edumakation.

Wasn't my choice to move here... parents moved me my senior year. :sad:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I sign, and I'm not 1/2 bad at it. I can't carry on a conversation, but I know enough to find out what is going on, and tell them what I am doing. I understand a lot more than I can sign, which helps.

Some deaf people can lip read rather well, often times if a hearing family member is around they can translate. When I can't use the ASL I know, I write/draw. I've encountered 2 different deaf people with long histories that just carried everything on a 3x5 card and would hand it to you right off.

If I can figure out what language they are speaking, I'll let the hospital know ASAP we need a translator for that language so they have more time to track one down. Some hospitals subscribe to a translator phone system, where they call a number, tell them what language they need translated, put the phone on speaker phone and go with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kookaburra

Forum Lieutenant
I'm actually working on a set of flashcards. All pictures, no words. Also, my EMT-B instructor has taught us the word for "pain" in quite a few different languages.

Has anyone used Mediflag? How are those?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
We keep a large laminated pain scale card with facial expression pictures and corresponding numbers. The words PAIN and WHERE are translated into several different languages at the top( flip style for each question). This is good for most languages and all ages although there are some cultural issues, especially with the men, who look at you like you're crazy when it comes to the facial expressions.

We have another large laminated card with alphabet (English and Spanish) for those that are aphasic for whatever reasons (CVA, laryngectomy, hearing loss etc).

The third large laminated card is pictures and phrases (Spanish/English) of various comfort needs - cold, hot, thirty, food, etc.

Once in the ED, if there is not someone that can translate in medical terms as staff, a translator is called either for an inperson presence or via a telephone service. Family members are only used for simple and immediate questions for a few necessry fact findings to get started. Once the translator is present, the patient will also be asked which of his/her family members are allowed access to medical information and can continue to assist in the care.

We also found that some cultures, especially Asian, feel it is their duty to protect their elders and will not translate bad news to them but may give you the impression they have. They feel it is not the health provider's (including physician) choice to make that determination. Often, whether the family likes it or not the room is cleared and a 1 to 1 conversation via professional translator must be done between the physician and patient to ensure correct understanding. The family will be forever pissed but if it is for a surgical consent or test results for a serious disease, the patient who is alert and fully capable of making decisions has a right to know.