Know of any good "Realistic" EMS videos to learn from?

Lil Medic

Forum Probie
I don't have a lot of patient experience and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good videos out there, (Youtube, webisodes, etc.) that could help me gain insight into what things will be like responding to actual calls, or dealing with patients or scenarios so I don't look like such a greenhorned idiot on my first couple calls... Thanks!

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Yeah its not a bad show, pretty realistic of how things run here, obviously dramatised a bit and only shows mostly interesting calls.

Youtube is your friend.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Why not do some volunteer time in the hospital?

You want to learn how to act with patients by watching it on tv or youtube?

I better not comment any further...

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
I might look like a greenhorn but not an idiot on my first couple calls... Thanks!
Fixed

There's no substitute for actual patient contact, be courteous, polite, profesional, and treat the patient like you would like to be treated in your time of need.

Know your stuff, clincal wise, treatments and the rest is experience.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
read Rogue Medic
Listen to EMS office Hours

Panel discussions with EMTs, Medics, Docs, and others involved in "the System" who talk about a lot of different things. Very helpful in demonstrating you arent an idiot. Just because you are confined by you protocols does not mean you cant be educated beyond your certification. The ability to have intelligent hypothetical discussions with other educated providers will go a long way towards showing you have a passion and interest and show that there are people who believe we can change the way we deliver care

There is no way to train for the experience of running a call, as each person has a different flow and you will figure out your own style

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Even reading stuff like these forums can be helpful. I have learnt heaps off different threads here including tips and tricks and even the processes involved in RSI; when I first saw it performed I knew exactly what was going on, what drugs they are using and why.

Immerse yourself in the 'culture' and you will learn heaps.

OP
OP
L

Lil Medic

Forum Probie
Why not do some volunteer time in the hospital?

You want to learn how to act with patients by watching it on tv or youtube?

I better not comment any further...

I've got an application in at a few hospitals right now already, it's just a matter of the right spot opening up, and even when it does I'm sure you're aware that most of that time will be spent making beds and such ;) And there is nothing wrong with that, it's more than I do now and I will be lucky to finally get the opportunity to do it. I'm really eager for whatever experience i can get (Hence the post). I also just interviewed for a fire department volunteer spot which is more applicable.
In the meantime however, I was looking for anything that might familiarize me with job, such as caring for patients, how to talk them into receiving care, act on involuntary consent, extrication communication and procedure, anything I pick up that might help, etc... All these things I will learn, and in more detail when I get some real experience. I mostly just wanted to learn as much as I can that a classroom can't teach me before I have the chance to head out there myself.