King-American in San Francisco?

amonteve

Forum Probie
AMR always seems like such a long shot, being pretty much the only way to get 911 experience in most of the Bay Area.

Does anyone know anything about King-American out of San Francisco?

Obviously SFFD EMS handles 911 in the city but, judging by there website, it seems like K-A gets to participate in some pretty neat stuff aside from the usual transport work that most other non-AMR companies do in the region.
They also mention that they take part in disaster response drills.

I'm close to being able to start applying places. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
K-A is a very decent ambulance service. They are also very busy but are usually on time and have good equipment.

The website presents the highlights of what they do but leaves out the other professionals that are on transport with the EMTs and Paramedics.

For the Mobile ICU truck, a CCT RN from the hospitals and occassionally an RRT accompanies. They may also have their own staff of CCT RNs also as AMR does for other hospital transports. They do a fair amount of ER to ER or Cath Lab and OR transports between the major hospitals in the city. The ICU to ICU transport are also frequent for CVVH dialysis and transplant patients.

For the Neonatal truck, the NICU nursing team accompanies.

They also have the bariatric stretchers and the contract for the hospital that does many bariatric surgeries.

Just being part of those transports is great experience and gives you a chance to see other professionals who are usually willing to answer questions.

You will get a chance to transport patients from a good trauma center, large teaching hospitals including UCSF and see many types of patients if you view at them as something other than "Just another transport". The ICU patient acuity in that city is pretty amazing with the large number of transplants and traumas. Even one of their smallest hospitals is pretty famous for micro-surgery and there will be transports from other parts of CA and other states 24/7 for re-attachments. That hospital also has a fantastic and large physical therapy center which does some amazing stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
Since were on the topic of Bay area ambulance companies right now Im applying to several companies (cant do AMR because they are only hiring full time and i need part time cause of school) but the companies I've been looking at are NorCal Ambulance, Golden State Ambulance, and WestMed Ambulance. All i really know about them is what i have seen on their websites and from talking to their human resources people.

So any of you heard anything about any of these companies or work for any of them, ideally I want as much 911 Experience as i can get but that not looking hopeful if I'm not working AMR.

emt786

Forum Probie
Hey guys,

I'm going to start applying too. I wanted to apply to King American too, but I saw on their website that you have to be 23 years of age to apply, that kind of stinks...are there any other companies besides those already mentioned that you guys know of?

Markhk

Forum Lieutenant
Anyone on the board end up getting hired with King-American? I was curious about the academy/FTO time if anyone is working with them now.

hellofirstresponders

Forum Crew Member
So they dont run 911 calls? I heard pro transport even is about to start taking 911 calls. Is that true? Anyways, could someone PM me and mention what their starting pay is. Thanks!