Killing time

Vizior

Forum Crew Member
So I'm currently away from home for approximately another 6 months, until I can go back to working EMS. I have a lot of time to kill. I already make it a point to go to the gym once or twice a day, and have applied to an online college. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do to occupy myself besides getting sucked into games like World of Warcraft??

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Reading to stay current on your EMS ;)

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
What are your current educational achievements and preparations?

OP
OP
V

Vizior

Forum Crew Member
Currently I'm a Paramedic, with between 2 and 3 years towards a bachelors degree in Mathematics and Physics. As for reading to stay current on EMS, I spend a fair amount of time doing CME's, reading articles, and other general studying. I'm currently applying to on-line schools to see if I can take some classes while I'm away from home.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Cool. I'd keep a close eye on the Internet listings for medical educational conferences that are always popping up here and there. It's a great way to stay abreast of the latest developments and state of the art that has not yet made it to the field in most systems.

If you have never taken a formal medical terminology course, I'd get one of the programmed workbooks and work through it to the end. You'd be surprised what you don't know.

If you're not proficient at 12-lead interpretation, pick up the Dubin book and worth through that, cover to cover. There is a lot more to interpreting 12-leads than just identifying blatant infarcts.

Forums like this one are great for keeping you up-to-date with the latest concepts in EMS, as well as stimulating your mind to continually think medically and think outside of the book. I first came here four years ago, after a four year hiatus from EMS, just to read what the hot topics were and refresh myself. It worked out better than I could ever have expected, and it can for you too.

Good luck, and enjoy the break!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
You in jail?

If not, get some social life too! Sasha can hook you up I bet...;)

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
So are you in The Corps? I'm planning on going in myself as soon as I finish college, so still a few years off.

As for time to kill, EMTLife works great!:p

I have found that I actually enjoy re-reading my textbooks and going thru my workbooks again. I also try to read stuff online, take practice tests, etc. Pretty much what has been said already.

OP
OP
V

Vizior

Forum Crew Member
If not, get some social life too! Sasha can hook you up I bet...;)

LOL. I'll take whatever social life I can get out here. :p

lightsandsirens5 said:
So are you in The Corps? I'm planning on going in myself as soon as I finish college, so still a few years off.

As for time to kill, EMTLife works great!

I have found that I actually enjoy re-reading my textbooks and going thru my workbooks again. I also try to read stuff online, take practice tests, etc. Pretty much what has been said already.

Yes, I am. I'm currently Reserves, but that may all change when I get home. I have a lot of decisions ahead of me when I get home.

I don't have any of my textbooks or workbooks with me, so I settle for whats available online. But I'm also looking for non-ems ways to pass the time out here, when I'm not "working".