Key to online job apps?

goodgrief

Forum Lieutenant
So I live North of Atlanta. And I have been looking for work for a couple of months with no luck. What am I missing? Is there a key to online job apps? I apply week after week, with no call backs. I have even considered applying for my license in TENN and making the hour drive north to find work.

The one company I really want to work for told me they dont hire straight out of school.

I have plenty of customer service experience.
Any suggestions on things I should do with online apps? I thought about posting my resume here so yall can tell me if im missing something.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Some places might appreciate the initiative taken if you follow up with a phone call.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Some places might appreciate the initiative taken if you follow up with a phone call.

+1 to that. Back when I was a supervisor, if someone just kept submitting application after application and never bothered to stop in or call, each successive application would simply wind up filed as "do not call" faster than the one before it. For dime a dozen positions like basic EMT and paramedic, if you're not talking directly to the person doing the hiring, you're simply a number to them and it's very easy to get annoyed if the same number keeps showing up. Think how you feel when the same telemarketer calls you several times during dinner....

I thought about posting my resume here so yall can tell me if im missing something.

I would strongly recommend against doing that.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
G

goodgrief

Forum Lieutenant
I would strongly recommend against doing that.

lol minus any personal information.

Someone was telling me that with online apps it goes through a computer based program that picks and chooses what apps the hiring person sees. And if your resume/app doesnt have the "key" words the computer is looking for then the hiring person doesnt even see your app

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
So I live North of Atlanta. And I have been looking for work for a couple of months with no luck. What am I missing? Is there a key to online job apps? I apply week after week, with no call backs. I have even considered applying for my license in TENN and making the hour drive north to find work.

The one company I really want to work for told me they dont hire straight out of school.

I have plenty of customer service experience.
Any suggestions on things I should do with online apps? I thought about posting my resume here so yall can tell me if im missing something.

is there anywhere you can apply in person? sometimes showing up with copies of your certs in hand and a paper application helps..

its more personal and it introduces them to you...

after you apply give them a ring after a week or two if they dont call back

RUGBY66X

Forum Probie
It took me about 8 months out of school to get a job and all the ones they hired we were all about half way through our medic class. Like someone said before basics are a dime a dozen and you have to find some way to stand out. I went in person and followed up with every company about every 2 works for that whole 8 months. It took a lot of persistence but I think I ended up at the right company for me even if it isn't one of the ones I originally wanted. Good luck and just make sure you do the little things like shirt and tie when dropping off the app and for interview. Also with ur resume include copy of drivers license state and national license and any other certs like hazmat or the nims fema classes.