Ketamine

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
The reason Ketamine is rarely used here is the duration factor. Even in many ER's Ketamine has been replaced because of the dangers of respiratory depression and duration of the drug as well as some nasty side effects such as night terrors.

Many EMS has opioid type analgesics and over all no problems as we carry an antagonist as well (Narcan). Pain control has been more emphasized in the past five years than before.

R/r 911

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
Ketamine. Great for kids needing RSI...and horses.

What about horses that need RSI? Sure, you'd need a garden hose and a fiber optic camera...

Yeah, we don't use Ketamine. The rational I've heard is it's pretty harsh and can have some wild reactions in a lot of folks, and it's effect lasts too long for the ER Doc's taste.

Hastings

Noobie
What about horses that need RSI? Sure, you'd need a garden hose and a fiber optic camera...

Yeah, we don't use Ketamine. The rational I've heard is it's pretty harsh and can have some wild reactions in a lot of folks, and it's effect lasts too long for the ER Doc's taste.

I've never tried to RSI a horse (yet), but I have plans. And those plans involve a lot of Ketamine.

That being said, Ketamine really is the perfect drug for pediatric RSI.

mikie

Forum Lurker
Google wasn't much help.

Can someone elaborate on the ketamine nightmares, terrors, etc?