Just starting out ....

gkygrl

Forum Crew Member
This is my first post ....

I am starting out and just applied to a local volunteer Ambulance Squad and am scheduled to begin EMT training in January.

Is there anything recommended I should bring to class (I know I have to have a pocket mask - that is on the way) and I did purchase a pair of EMT pants (even if the Corp supplies them, one extra pair will never hurt).

Stethoscope, etc???

Thanks,
Diana

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
don't spend too much on a stethy if you get one. If you haven't gotten any info on what to bring or to class your first day then you will go over what is expected then.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Call them and ask what is expected. Whatever they say to bring, honestly, try to bring the lower end of. Just starting out, you don't know what you want, what you're looking for, or even if you're going to stay. Plus things get 'lost' easily.

Once you get settled in, you can start looking for the more 'expensive' stuff such as a steth, but until you've used the stuff, you don't know what you do or do not like, and therefor it'd suck to spend $150 on a steth you hate or is of no use to you.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Less is more when you're new to this field.

Focused more on developing the tools between your ears than the shiny things you can buy online.

Buy a good anatomy and physio book to supplement what you'll learn in class

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
gkygrl

gkygrl

Forum Crew Member
Less is more when you're new to this field.

Focused more on developing the tools between your ears than the shiny things you can buy online.

Buy a good anatomy and physio book to supplement what you'll learn in class

PS - I love "shiny things" but will resist the temptation. I am meeting with the instructor this week before class begins in January and getting ready to do orientation with the local Ambulance Corp (3 ride-alongs and a job assessment). Looking forward to it.

Last edited by a moderator: