Just started my practicum..

andyrad

Forum Probie
Oh, last week or so. Today is day 6. I feel like I've gotten better since the first day but I still don't feel like I'm "there" yet. I know how to do things I'm supposed to but when I get on scene my mind is racing and stuff just seems to fall apart. It makes me look diffident and I don't want the patient or my preceptor to think that about me.

Is there anything I can be doing to help with this? I've nailed a lot of firsts (ie. first IV start) but then I'll fumble with answering a random question about cap refill. If I don't know the answer, I say I don't and I'll look it up later, which I do. It just makes me feel so dumb when I don't know the answer. Obviously, I'm brand new and can't know EVERYTHING. I think my preceptors are great and are very helpful but I am starting to feel very dejected about this whole experience. I wasn't expecting to walk in and breeze my way through it or anything. I was expecting a challenge.

Any advice?

colafdp

Forum Lieutenant
Hey, I know that practicum can kind of throw you for a loop when you first start. Just remember, you're there to learn, you will screw up a few times, and that is sometimes just the way you learn.

Also try to remember that the preceptor will NOT let you do anything that will negatively affect your patient. I've precepted a lot of students, and sometimes it just takes some time to put all the pieces together. If you don't know the answer to something, and you have to look it up, it just means that you'll remember it for next time! Don't feel dejected about this whole experience so far...Practicum is there to help you gain confidence in yourself, and in turn, your skills to help you treat the patients. It'll get easier. I know this isn't very long, but i'm in a rush right now, so if you have any questions or anything, shoot me a PM, and i'd be glad to help you anyway I can.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wee-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
Oh, last week or so. Today is day 6. I feel like I've gotten better since the first day but I still don't feel like I'm "there" yet. I know how to do things I'm supposed to but when I get on scene my mind is racing and stuff just seems to fall apart. It makes me look diffident and I don't want the patient or my preceptor to think that about me.

Is there anything I can be doing to help with this? I've nailed a lot of firsts (ie. first IV start) but then I'll fumble with answering a random question about cap refill. If I don't know the answer, I say I don't and I'll look it up later, which I do. It just makes me feel so dumb when I don't know the answer. Obviously, I'm brand new and can't know EVERYTHING. I think my preceptors are great and are very helpful but I am starting to feel very dejected about this whole experience. I wasn't expecting to walk in and breeze my way through it or anything. I was expecting a challenge.

Any advice?

I finished my practicum about a month ago and I felt the same way. The first few calls, I totally froze up. My very first call, my preceptor made me attend and every call after that I attended as well. I never got to sit back and see how they do things in the real world! It'll get easier as you go on. Just remember to always do a primary and not jump around to much. :) Where are you doing your practicum?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Wait until you're in the streets on your own, with just you and your partner, on your first "emergent call" with no real preceptor safety net. :p

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I been an EMT for 15 years and am on the tail end of the Paramedic Program and at times I feel like I dont know anything :) It will all come and fall into place so don't worry. I remember when I was an EMT student I was really discouraged and felt overwhelmed with the material but stick with it and it will come.

Sometimes its best to observe a few times initially until you get a feel for how the preceptor and crews operate, their style, and what their expectation is of you as a student. I thinks its important right up front to ask your preceptor what they expect of you.

As a Paramedic student, when I am enroute to a call... I take the chief complaint on dispatch and review the disease process, assessment steps, and possible differentials in my head and do so until I get onscene. It does help to formulate an approach... so maybe when your enroute to a call just review in your head what the problem is, causes, and what are u gonna do about it.

And remember, you are a student... this is your time to LEARN... not know everything... you arent expected to know everything. Just ask and if your like me... if you dont know something and feel or look kinda dumb... it makes you remember what you didnt know even more!

Hope this bit of insight helped ya a little :)

only1jomo

Forum Probie
WOW!! You guys rock. I'm not even there yet. My EMT-B program starts in September and I've worried about this exact thing. It's good to know everyone does and it gives me that much more steam to go forward. Thanks.

OP
OP
A

andyrad

Forum Probie
I am like you. I'll probably never forget the stuff I've been wrong about. Thank you for the words of encouragement.

rjddvm

Forum Crew Member
I've been a practicing veterinarian for six years now and I learn something new every single day. There is also not one single day when I don't think that I could be learning more, or doing something better.

"I don't know, but I'll find out" is good way to deal with things you don't know. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask...that's not 100% true, but you can bet that if you have a question, someone else in your class or group has the same question.

The day that you think you know it all is the day you should quit.