Just Failed

1bigbox

Forum Ride Along
I took my nremt test and i failed it the first time.:sad: i didnt study at all, just kinda went in blind. do i have to pay the 70$ to take it again?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Most likely you will. The best thing to do would be to contact your school / program coordinator and talk to them. If that fails, then you could check out the NREMT website or call them.

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
I took my nremt test and i failed it the first time.:sad: i didnt study at all, just kinda went in blind. do i have to pay the 70$ to take it again?

Yes and this time study for it.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Ditto, however if you have no intention on studying, then you may want to save your $70 because you will not pass. Good luck whatever you decision may be...................

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
[Cheesy line]If you fail to prepare, prepare to fail.[/cheesy line]

Welcome to EMTLife, really! I'm sure you'll do much better next time after a long study session!

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
[Cheesy line]If you fail to prepare, prepare to fail.[/cheesy line]

Granted, it's as cheesy as a box of Kraft Easy-Mac, but truer words were never spoken...

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
i didnt study at all, just kinda went in blind.

To be honest...if you're going to be that casual, become a Postman.

(No offense meant to USPS personnel, of whom my Brother is one.)

JPINFV

Gadfly
To be honest...if you're going to be that casual, become a Postman.

(No offense meant to USPS personnel, of whom my Brother is one.)

Why? I went into the NREMT-B test without studying and passed on my first time.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Methinks you weren't casual.

If you were and are, then...

EMTryan

Forum Crew Member
There really is no way around it...If you want to pass the national registry than you need to study.

The NREMT test isn't too hard IF you have studied and know the material well. Read through some of the old posts in the forum about studying for the NREMT, there are some good tips on this site. Go to your library and see if they have any study books for the NREMT and check them out. Many web sites have good review questions. Don't overely on any one book or website but they can usually can be of some help. Above all, review your text book and class notes, exams, etc.

The NREMT is designed so that you need to study in between attempts to have any chance of passing the exam. The questions from your original exam will not show up on the retest. If you don't study your score will probably be very similar to your original score.

The bottom line is you need to take it seriously and then there is a really good chance you will pass.

Good luck!B)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Personally, I would not announce to a forum that I failed nor that I did not study... duh? What would one expect?

R/r 911

CrazyCanuck

Forum Probie
Failed

do i have to pay the 70$ to take it again?

D'uuh! Maybe study the next time for your re-test. You got out of it what you put into it! Just be thankful your not up here in Alberta. Our exam fees are $675.00 for the written and 2 practical exams and if you fail one or the other it's a $350.00 re-test fee. If you fail both, then you pay the full fee again. Also, you are only allowed so many re-tests over the one year post-grad time frame before you have to do a refresher course.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I went into both my Basic and Intermediate courses without studying, but they were just days after the course final. I did review some basic things and read some things online from people who took the tests, but I didn't actually sit down and study.

And I passed both written.

Fire219man

Forum Crew Member
If your not going to study your craft then why bother taking the test? I agree with what has been said by others already.

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
I wish there was ANY pre-hospital course in South Africa I could just listen in class and then not fail...?

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I wish there was ANY pre-hospital course in South Africa I could just listen in class and then not fail...?

Similar to the MCAT, USMLE, etc I wonder why there are not dozens of practice exams in the exact format of the NREMT exam. Even old, retired exams. Ideas why?

disassociative

Forum Captain
To answer your question:

Yes, you will have to pay the $70 again; however, this time your ATT will come quicker(Over night).

Now;

You will be receiving in the mail, a list of your weak and strong points:

I it will be and correct me if I am wrong:

Cardiology

Trauma Assessment

Medical Assessment

Obstetrics

etc.

Remember; the NREMT does not grade 0% to 100%; you are looking at either Below Passing, Passing, or Above Passing.

Study. Don't study so much into the recall level(direct memorization); the NREMT is made to weed out just such person(s). Instead, know why you woul d do something, how you would do something, it's indications.

Chances are they are not going to ask you if you want to use a nasal cannula; they will rather give you a scenario(e.g. chest pain) to throw you off(so while you are in nitroglycerin world); they will pop on you a question like: Given the current information; the nasal cannula you provided the patient will deliver ____ to ____ oxygen.

a. 24%-44%

b. 35%

c. Up to 90%

b. 55%

Obviously, given the fact that a cannula(1-6 L/min) can deliver 24%-44%, but then you ask--well why not 35%? This falls within this range.

It sure does, however: Is that the best answer?(Thus Judgement comes in)

Usually on the NREMT; there are 2 right answers; and 1 correct answer.

You must use your critical thinking skills and judgement to choose the Best answer with a fuller outcome that, in some patients; detriments them the least.

You cannot rely on recall/recognition alone for this test, it simply will not work. After all, when you get out in the real world, you will soon realize that your BEST textbook by far is your patient.

Study, Study, Study

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Similar to the MCAT, USMLE, etc I wonder why there are not dozens of practice exams in the exact format of the NREMT exam. Even old, retired exams. Ideas why?

Because the exam alike similar medical examinations are copyrighted and anything similar that was tested before could ensure copyright problems.

Institutions that fail to write test such as using the stem key type questions and detractors, those similar to the NREMT format is not doing their students justice.

As an educator, I was taught how to write tests similar to the NREMT format. As an educator; I also discuss with students immediately after tests the format used, emphasis placed on questions. This allows me to increase writing tests in the curriculum similar to the NREMT format, as well all tests are administered per computer so students are familiar with the same type of usage.

What I have found is many instructors are NOT educators nor have any education level background in test writing at a professional level. Many attempt to use simplistic usage, and or field experience and or direct medical protocol (which Board Examinations will never use).

The NREMT is unique that the pass rates are much higher in comparison to other medical and board examinations. What I have found is most students in EMS have poor study habits and demonstrate high test anxiety. When examined it rare to see EMS students to study more than 2-4 hours per day, and as the original poster described (and others) many do not even study, yet complain of the test and how it is written. Was it the test or the applicant? Many or instructors fail to schedule test review within the course itself. EMS is a unique profession that promotes "teamwork and partners" but when in the classroom, verily rarely promotes the usage of study groups and different type of reviews.

Personally, I had thought of developing classes/courses similar to the NCLEX review. What I have found in those type of courses are test taking hints and core review, rather than just specific review questions. Of course review questions are definitely needed to ensure and review areas of weakness, and again re-enforce questions similar to the examination.

I realize as an educator, no matter how well the student performs in class, or may demonstrate to be the next Johnny Gage without passing the board certification or license will be useless. We also need to remember that the certification examinations only tests over the minimal allowable standards, and course content has to be more introduced than just is what tested over.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator: