Juggling Medic School with work and family

Asheville3822

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone,

Im planning out starting Medic School through my local community college in the fall. Its something I have always dreamed of doing. I am 32, married, work full time and have a 2 year old. Wondering if anyone out here has done this while being in my same situation? Am I out of my mind? Also what did you do about finances? I plan on taking out loans and also applying for as many scholarships as I can. Just looking for advice from someone thats been down this path, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Asheville3822, I sort of qualify. I was a little older and a father instead of a mother when I started medic school. Whether or not you're out of your mind is debatable :) , but if you are, so was I.

Regarding finances, I was fortunate that my volunteer agency paid my tuition in return for a three-year commitment. I continued to work part-time during school to pay bills. A bigger issue for me was getting used to an environment where everything I did on practical rotations was subject to close scrutiny. I hated the feeling of being watched.

The academic side wasn't too bad, even though I'd been out of school for 18 years. I'd always been pretty good at learning stuff and taking tests.

You've probably accomplished plenty in your 32 years, but get used to being at the bottom of the food chain again. If you have any problems taking direction from people much younger, you're going to be frustrated. Best advice: Try thinking of your age as an advantage rather than a disadvantage. You know stuff about life that 20-somethings don't. Use that wisdom discreetly to benefit your patients and help you excel. Then go about your business quietly and with much humility.

Also, make sure you have your family's support. Medic school isn't worth a divorce.

ParamagicFF

Forum Crew Member
I also worked full time alongside moderate family requirements while going through paramedic school. Organization will be key. Set aside specific times for each type of activity and stick to it. Make sure your partner understands this and can be supportive.

Regarding finances, I paid cash for my school. When I decided this was the path I wanted to take, I picked up a second job along with my full time job to save for school. Each Fall/Spring I would drop down to one full time job again, but each break in semesters I stepped work back up to pay for the next semester.

Everyone's life situation is different, but going into debt for this career field doesn't seem like a wise idea IMO.