Joining a SAR Team

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Originally posted by JCHobbes@May 12 2005, 02:17 PM
So what can I do as a 16 y/o EMT?
Not knowing your area, its hard to say. I assume that since the state will allow you to take the class and get certified, there's no specific restrictions on your ability to practice, other than company's being unwilling to hire you until you're 18?

If that's correct, here's a couple thoughts:

1) Talk to your school and see if there's any opportunities to put your EMS skills to use, say with sporting events. They may also be reluctant for liability reasons, but its worth asking. If they already have someone (athletic trainer, etc.) who fulfills that role, you might be able to work with him/her and assist.

2) Many volunteer FDs and rescue squads have "junior member" or Explorer programs. Such members are often allowed to respond as an observer, but they sometimes let you do some tasks as well. If nothing else, even observing helps your skills as the field is very different from the textbook.

3) The Red Cross may also have opportunities. I know a couple of our local chapters run first aid tents at public events. They may also require you to be 18, but maybe not. Worth checking.

4) If there's any CERT (Community Emergency Response Teams) in your area, they'd probably be happy to have you (not aware of any age minimums...there may be though). Such teams often have periodic training, though the only time they actually do much in the way of "response" work is in the event of a disaster.

Hope this helps.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Junior Member / Explorers - VERY GOOD IDEA.

As I said - you will eventually probably be allowed to "run the call" and be somewhat loosly supervised (they don't breathe down your neck when you take a B/P).

You are not really employable until you are 18, but then you will have 2 years experience.

I always rode as the third to all football games....I still seem to go to most of them. The trouble wiuth still living at home :rolleyes:

Jon

ECC

Forum Captain
Here is my take on the subject:

JC please do not thake this as an attack, I am only speaking from my experience!

Do we want or need another youngster playing medical professional. When I say professional, I am including my non-paid brethren (is sistren even a word? ;) ) I think we allow children (and yes @ 16 you are still a child to me) grow up way too fast! On some of the more 'dramatic' calls do we need another individual on the scene who could be potentially part of the problem? I could not even imagine trying to teach a youngster the nuances of scene safety and interpersonal control skills. Many adults this potential EMT may not even want him in their home as he would be percieved as a child.

JC, I humbly suggest you take this opportunit to look around and see all of the wonderful opportunities you really have. Go to school...become informed of what is available to you, and if you still want to, when you are 18, come on back and get your EMT! You should be hanging out with your friends and enjoying High School Life...not looking to get into this career so early.

Again my .02, and my opinion is not necessarily that of others :D

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
One of the probies on my shift is a "youth squadder"... she's in her EMT class - I let her run as much as she wants (BLS only, of course), and I just supervise. Best way to learn...

ECC

Forum Captain
I am just suggesting that 16 is a little early to be running calls...supervised or not.

I am up to my armpits in Explorers that can help...like take a BP or hit the hydrant...but to be fully certified FFI or EMT, I think a little age and maturity help. Also what of any minor's duty to act? Do they have one? Does the public have the right to demand that of a minor as they do of the rest of us?

Food for thought [/rant]

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by ECC@May 12 2005, 10:53 PM
I am just suggesting that 16 is a little early to be running calls...supervised or not.

I am up to my armpits in Explorers that can help...like take a BP or hit the hydrant...but to be fully certified FFI or EMT, I think a little age and maturity help. Also what of any minor's duty to act? Do they have one? Does the public have the right to demand that of a minor as they do of the rest of us?

Food for thought [/rant]
At 16, I was running as an EMT, and 16 I had to handle a 1st and 2nd degree burn to the foot by myself because the "senior" emt worked transports occaisionally but couldn't stand the sight of blood or anything else gross....

At 17, I was te ONLY EMT on the rescue (ambulance was on another call) for a horriffic motorcycly MVC with brain injury. I ended up not doing much but C-spine and airway for the first 5 minutes until the medic arrived. My LT was soo much help on that.. poor guy nearly fainted looking at the sceen from 100 yards off...

At 16 one of my classmates was hit while skateboarding home from school, massive head injury. I found out he died the next day, in school. That was a tough call, and my first bad trauma. I almost didn't come back after that, but thought long and hard, anddecided this is what I want to do with my life.

JC... I think young adults / teenagers belong n EMS, wit appropriate support (IE have a mentor who you can talk over anything and everything with after bad calls) I think this is a very worthy goal, and I will help you to the best of my abilities (I'm not quite a PA child labor law expert, but lived with it for 4 years... I KnOW the rules)

Jon

Summit

Critical Crazy
I second the suggestion of WFR or WEMT.

Our SAR has a 21 y/o age requirement.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Woohoo! reviving an old thread rocks.

Anyway, here's something to consider: The EMT course I'm in required the Red Cross First Responder course (or equivalent) as a prerequisite.

So, he might need to take both classes anyway.

TripperAdam

Forum Probie
Someone earlier mentioned that for SAR, you may want to just take a WFR right now. I would second that for many reasons!
First off: with any FR course, you learn the same patient assesment and BLS skills as EMTs, just with less detail. You also have plenty of time ahead for taking your EMT (I'm guessing you still have a bit of high school ahead of you, too).
With a WILDERNESS First Responder, you get quite a bit of training - 80 hours- covering all the BLS and patient assemment basics; how to deal with injuries, medical issues, and environmental issues with backcountry protocals. And it does (or, my course did at least) cover some Search and Rescue and evactuation stuff. Check out the Wilderness Medical Associates.
I took my WFR last fall --- and am currently trying to find ways to volunteer with it.

TripperAdam

Forum Probie
About what you're saying ECC: That's a falsely discouraging thing to say to a young person. By the sounds it, JCHobbes has a pretty good idea of what they're getting into. You don't have to be beyond this magical age of 18 to have a clear view of your goals. Everyone matures at different points in their lives -- I've met young kids more mature than some middle-aged people. You may consider teenagers to be "children" and some indeed can be; but many are intelligent and already have something to offer to society. I think a dedicated enough 16-year-old could make a brilliant EMT.

(There's nothing wrong with "youngsters" of Y-generation to star entering the professional workforce)