job

schwing343

Forum Crew Member
I recently applied to AMR, about 2 weeks ago, still no call back. Should i have made a resume? A friend of mine who used to work as a medical assistant or something, said i should have put in one. Im going to apply to alot of private ambulance companies, hopefully ill land one. Any advice?
thanks

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
Give them a call. Follow up on your application

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I'd say give them a call.

I also think that a resume is almost an essential for any job beyond entry-level. I can't tell you how many people I've sold on my resume alone. Today I got four phone calls from people who I randomly sent my resume to.

I once interviewed with someone who was more qualified than I was, had did a great interview, but didn't fight for the job. I'd follow up afterwards with a thank you letter, and then an email if I didn't hear back. She just waited. We interviewed for several of the same jobs, and both interviewed for the same position. I ended up getting an offer at every position I interviewed at, while she didn't get a single one. It sounds weird, but I say it was my resume and follow up letter. Both were extraordinarily impressive and professional. My current boss even used my template to fix his own up, and they pass mine around the school when they're teaching students how to create resumes in their Career Decisions class. As you can tell, I'm all about the resume :)

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
I ask this for myself, as I am in a somewhat similar position.What would be the point in a resume for someone that doesn't have a lot of work experience or a college degree? All I can put down is I graduated cum laude at high school and two different restaurant jobs.

Epi-do

I see dead people
There are alot of different formats for resumes. Go to the library and pick up some resume writing books, make a list of your storng points that would help you get the job you are looking for. Read the library books, and figure out what format would work best for you and your situation. Also, if you have access to someone that can critique your resume, have them look at it. Writing a good one can really be an artform, and you want yours to be the best it can possibly be.

I am willing to bet that most people applying to an EMS job working on an ambulance (and not in administration) don't bother with a resume. By including one, it makes you look more professional than the other applicants, and that can help the employer remember your application over another person. Setting yourself apart from the other applicants is what will help you get the interview, and also the job, so do everything you can to accomplish that!

Alexakat

Forum Lieutenant
I ask this for myself, as I am in a somewhat similar position.What would be the point in a resume for someone that doesn't have a lot of work experience or a college degree? All I can put down is I graduated cum laude at high school and two different restaurant jobs.

Glorified, Don't discount those restaurant positions...you could use your restaurant jobs to highlight your experience working with the public & stress your people-skills. Beef it up...apply your skills in those positions to show a prospective employer how you handle difficult people & situations, etc. We learn something from every job we've had...

OP
OP
schwing343

schwing343

Forum Crew Member
Thank you guys for all the info. Got another application for another place, gonna give it a shot.

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
Adding a resume to your application is a great idea b/c it will get you noticed and plus resumes paint alot better picture of you,especially to the people that do the hiring.