Job tips/Advice

Lucid21

Forum Ride Along
Hey all I'm a fresh EMT-B and I've been with a volunteer rescue company for just about two years now.

I'm applying to be a ER Tech/patient Care Technician at a few of my local hospitals. I just had a few questions:

• Should I attach a Cover Letter & Resume for the job? (I've had only one job, and that was a food serving job)
  • What should I wear to an interview? (Would Station clothing be appropriate; polo, EMS pants.)
  • Will having limited experience hurt my chances? (I just got my EMT-B card in the mail today, but I have been riding the ambulance as a third for the past two years; I have AHA BLS CPR Cert.)

Just a few questions for now, I'm just a little nervous at this point because I'm needing a job badly. I'm also at a local community college for Nursing, but not yet in the program. Thanks for everyone's help!

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
There are a few excellent threads here on this. Fo a search, and Good Fortune!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Apply for a job in EMS is just like applying for a professional job anywhere else.

Always have a resume with your application, even if you have no prior work experience.

When at the interview, same rules apply. Typically either dress 1 level above the job you're applying for, or suit up. I suggest suiting up.

Shake their hand, look them in the eye, do a call back, do a thank you letter, etc etc.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Apply for a job in EMS is just like applying for a professional job anywhere else.

Always have a resume with your application, even if you have no prior work experience.

When at the interview, same rules apply. Typically either dress 1 level above the job you're applying for, or suit up. I suggest suiting up.

Shake their hand, look them in the eye, do a call back, do a thank you letter, etc etc.

All very good points

id say if you dont have a suit AT LEAST dress up in a white collared shirt with a nice and and nice slacks

and i saw that u said you had some experience riding along as a third for 2 years, Make sure you stress that on your resume as well as the interview, because it does count as experience and also stress that it was a volunteer job and not paid, companies always like to hear of volunteer experiences

and DO NOT BE NERVOUS at the interview, if you do it'll be the death of you!!

rehearse rehearse rehearse

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
:glare:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Should I attach a Cover Letter & Resume for the job? (I've had only one job, and that was a food serving job)
Yes. Include education (including HS if you don't have an undergrad degree), additional course work, any awards you've had, any worth wild extra curricular activities (e.g. scouting) if you don't have much of everything. A good rule of thumb is that your resume shouldn't be longer than a page. It doesn't have to be a page, but if you're going over a page it's time to see what can be cut.
What should I wear to an interview? (Would Station clothing be appropriate; polo, EMS pants.)
If you're expecting to do some sort of practical testing, then I'd suggest a khakis and a polo shirt. Otherwise, it's impossible to overdress an interview and I'd suggest business formal.

Will having limited experience hurt my chances? (I just got my EMT-B card in the mail today, but I have been riding the ambulance as a third for the past two years; I have AHA BLS CPR Cert.)
It can depending on the place, however everyone has to start somewhere. At the same time, people without experience are easier to mold into what a company wants since they aren't filtering that company's policies and practices through their experience at a separate company.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Also, around these parts, it's a lot easier to get a job on an ambulance rather than in the ER. All of the techs I know have paid field experience. Having experience in a hospital really helps too. It depends on where you work, but the techs around here start almost all the IVs, foleys, and do all the splinting - which requires significantly more training.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I'm also at a local community college for Nursing, but not yet in the program.

Have you completed most of the prerequisites? Have you made application to nursing school? If you have completed most of the prerequisites and have a future start date for nursing school that may be more in your favor than EMT experience. It could also be helpful if you got your CNA after the first semester of nursing school which most states allow instead of the actual CNA class. The CNA and some enthusiasm to work in different areas of the hospital for experience to compliment your nursing program would be a plus. If you have valid reasons for becoming a nurse that will be extremely helpful. If you are torn between EMS and nursing, that may not be in your favor for getting a hospital job.