job hunting

monkeyfeet

Forum Probie
i know most of you folks already work in ems, and some of you are probably involved in hiring new employees, so i was hoping you could give me some advice. i'm a newly-certified basic trying desperately to find a job, but it seems there are lots more emts than jobs where i live. i'm wondering if there's anything i can do to make myself competitive despite my lack of experience. i'm hoping to start volunteering soon, but i need my iv cert to even interview for a volunteer position (starting class tomorrow, so should be this month). i've also put in applications with local emergency departments, but haven't gotten any replies. so i guess i'm wondering what, aside from experience, hiring managers look for in a prospective employee. is there any way i can sell myself that would make them consider me over someone with experience? any thoughts? thanks much!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
transport units I guess.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Sounds like you're on the right track. See if the Red Cross does first aid stations. Sometimes they're a great way to get patient contacts.

Otherwise, keep trying - sometimes it's the applicant that shows dedication that gets the attention. Just don't be a flippin' whacker! :D

bdunndchi

Forum Probie
If there is any training you can get on your own, that will help you look good. When you get an interview with a department you like, make sure you tell them that you are planning to make your career there. They want to know that you won't just use them as a stepping stone to get another job (even if you are). Tell them that you want to be the best firefighter you can be for them.