It's been a year since my EMT class, and I just got hired on.

74restore

Forum Crew Member
So, it's been a little under a year since my EMT class, and I just got a job at a small town EMS service.

I'm worried, however, because I feel like I have forgotten things since last summer when I took the class. I tried to keep up and maintain my knowledge, but life gets busy, and you know the rest. I have department training coming up and I am trying to review stuff so I don't kill a patient or make a stupid decision.

I know that it will be a learning process as I go through my first few months working.

My question: What are some good things to review that would be beneficial before I go for my first shift?
I'm thinking things like Trauma, bleeding stuff, splinting, airway management, etc.

Has anyone else been in the same situation? how difficult was it getting back into being fully prepared as an EMT after time away from it?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Searched and didn't find anything, so post links to other threads if you can get them!

Ecgg

Forum Lieutenant
So, it's been a little under a year since my EMT class, and I just got a job at a small town EMS service.

I'm worried, however, because I feel like I have forgotten things since last summer when I took the class. I tried to keep up and maintain my knowledge, but life gets busy, and you know the rest. I have department training coming up and I am trying to review stuff so I don't kill a patient or make a stupid decision.

I know that it will be a learning process as I go through my first few months working.

My question: What are some good things to review that would be beneficial before I go for my first shift?
I'm thinking things like Trauma, bleeding stuff, splinting, airway management, etc.

Has anyone else been in the same situation? how difficult was it getting back into being fully prepared as an EMT after time away from it?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Searched and didn't find anything, so post links to other threads if you can get them!

Patient assessment, patient assessment, patient assessment and once more patient assessment, Review both medical and trauma and do a few scenarios utilizing patient assessments as you did for registry.

I would also look up BLS protocols for your area and read through those.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Make sure you have a copy of the protocols and just run through the common scenarios you may face in your head.

I have been doing this since 2008, so I am a newbie too... I spend at least half of every one of my shifts going over material with my partner.

Just relax, and remember your training and follow the rules.

Congrats on getting a new job!!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
First off, at the EMT-B level you'd be hard pressed to perform an intervention that killed a patient that wasn't already going to die.

Other than that there's sound advice in this thread.

They're not going to throw you to the wolves without a FTO period, generally as the third on the truck, and if they don't send you through one they aren't a service you want to work for.