ITLS or PHTLS - which one and why?

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
That pretty much sums it up. I can either take an ITLS course or a PHTLS course. They're both the same cost and on the same dates, but one is in Reno, NV and the other in Fresno, CA.

So, aside from the physical location, which one do you guys think would be a better course and why? Is there really a huge difference between them anymore?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Don't know what an "ITLS" course is, but PHTLS is sponsored nationally by NAEMT and American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, and the BTLS is sponsored by American College of Surgeons and both are very similar and respectable nationally.

R/r 911

OP
OP
fm_emt

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Don't know what an "ITLS" course is, but PHTLS is sponsored nationally by NAEMT and American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, and the BTLS is sponsored by American College of Surgeons and both are very similar and respectable nationally.

R/r 911

BTLS has turned into ITLS. I think that's the only change.

http://www.itrauma.org/faq/index.asp

So from what you're saying, it doesn't seem to matter too much. Right?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Oh okay, we don't use BTLS in my area... a marketing game.. both courses are basically the same.. just different sponsors.
R/r 911

VinBin

Forum Captain
hah! what a huge money making scheme....

BTLS, ATLS, ITLS, PHTLS...

Oh yea, we have "ITLS" here...Speaking of these 2 day provider classes...anyone else find the emphasis on them a bit unnerving? Those that I've taken, other than ACLS for the most part, were a joke...

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
do like me and take a different one every other year...you'll find little differences sometimes...ex. btls (itls) doesn't teach tomahawk method of intubation and PHTLS has little tricks like rolling someone on their arm before logrolling onto backboard which works better because not as much adjustment necessary. I would definitely say that PHTLS is more liberal than btls but btls is a good start and they do a better job of driving home the important points.

OP
OP
fm_emt

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
hah! what a huge money making scheme....

BTLS, ATLS, ITLS, PHTLS...

Oh yea, we have "ITLS" here...Speaking of these 2 day provider classes...anyone else find the emphasis on them a bit unnerving? Those that I've taken, other than ACLS for the most part, were a joke...

BTLS + ITLS are the same thing. BTLS turned into ITLS. At least that's what the website says. :)

VinBin

Forum Captain
Actually, I was kinda implying that all of those classes are pretty much the same (atleast as far as Pre-hospital is concerned). But as Guardian pointed out, I guess there are minor differences...

I still dont like the idea of 2 day certification classes (other than ACLS for the most part) that play such a big role...