Is this normal

Nathan

Forum Crew Member
I passed the exams and all that stuff, I am licensed, but I feel like I don't know anything. I know CPR and a bunch of book/scenario mumbo jumbo, but I feel like that a lot of it is inapplicable to the "streets". I guess I am feeling a bit overwhelmed that after a 9 week emt course and once I get a job that I am "responsible" for the health and well being of a patient. Is it normal to feel this way?

Go through a nine week course on how to treat patients and what not, :censored::censored::censored::censored: bricks when you are able to go out and treat patients and what not.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
100 percent normal. You'll be fine once you get some time under your belt. The fact that you feel like you know nothing is good, it's when you start to feel like you know everything that bad things happen.

JPINFV

Gadfly
No it's normal, depressingly normal...

Now excuse me while I rock myself to sleep because my attending tends to touch my ego in bad areas every time I present an assessment and plan.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
No it's normal, depressingly normal...

Now excuse me while I rock myself to sleep because my attending tends to touch my ego in bad areas every time I present an assessment and plan.

What's really depressing is I actually understood what you just said :/

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Nothing is normal but a lot is typical.