Is it weird/frowned upon to buy a thank-you gift for a FTO and his partner?

mikeb890

Forum Probie
Not sure if it's the same for all companies, but I only had one FTO during the whole course of training, and he really taught me a lot, let me try a lot of things and was very encouraging throughout. Will it be regarded as some kind of bribery if I got him a gift? If it's okay, how can I make the gesture as casual as possible? Casual enough for them to know that I'm thankful for their guidance this past week or so, but not enough to make them feel as though I'm bribing him to pass me or anything. I can honestly say that my intention of getting them a gift is totally independent of my training results.

Or is there just... no need to?

Epi-do

I see dead people
You could offer to pay for lunch one day.

med51fl

Forum Lieutenant
I would go with perhaps picking up the tab for coffee / lunch. Donuts (especially Krispy Kreme donuts) are always good.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Seconding the note and gift card to where ever he tanks up. The card will come and go, but your words in the form of a note will last a long time.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
You could offer to pay for lunch one day.

On my last third ride day I told my FTO and his partner (who became an FTO the following week) that they could not buy anything that day. Lunch and two coffees for each was well worth two great preceptors who gave me good reviews and kept me off the crap shifts.

sweetpete

Forum Lieutenant
After my probation, I wrote out a card (no gift) for each of the Lt's I worked with over the 6 months. That seemed to be appreciated without feeling or seeming like a "bribe" of some sort.

I think picking up the tab and leaving a card at the end of the shift is a pretty tactful, thoughtful act.

Take care man

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I cooked a big steak dinner for my paramedic school preceptor's station when I completed my ride time. They made me feel like one of the family. I also sent each crew member a hand written thank you note.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Maybe parallel

I moved to a civilian fire district where I had served TDY (temporary duty assignment) while in the USAF. My car caught fire and they finally came to extinguish it. The tradition was a newbie's first fire meant he bought the shift ice cream, so when I could I delivered a couple gallons of it to them.