Is ems not for me?

Tk11

Forum Captain
I haven't been enjoying my job. My goal was to become a medic and do fire and try to get a job working as a FF/medic. I'm 19, I'm an emt now but I just don't ever feel motivated to go to work. All we do is transfers all day and I know that's part of the job for everyone but I'm just really not enjoying working on an ambulance and transporting all day. If I want to do medic I know I need experience. I thought about trying to get a job in a hospital or urgent care and see if I like that any better until I start medic school. But I don't know, should I even bother with medic school if I'm not enjoying it now?

I know medics do basic transfers as well and ems isn't all balls to the wall lights and sirens all day, and I knew that going in. So I don't know. I don't know what to do, should I look for a career change? Do I bother with doing medic if I'm not liking it so much now? The part I enjoy is actually running 911s and responding to real emergencies. I guess I'm just lost with what to do with my life, if I'm not enjoying this do you guys think I'll not enjoy medic as well?

Austin carawan

Forum Crew Member
All I can tell you, is I'm a fireman and what you're talking about that you want is something I get to see daily. We run ems calls, not super often, but when we do it's fast paced. Firefighting has been the best thing to ever happen to me and being. Firefighter with basic emt cert is great because you become a valuable asset to your crew. And it's a good feeling to know if I fall out in this fire the guy behind me on the hose can save me. Some days are better than other, maybe you're just in a low spot.

OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain
I haven't been enjoying my job. My goal was to become a medic and do fire and try to get a job working as a FF/medic. I'm 19, I'm an emt now but I just don't ever feel motivated to go to work. All we do is transfers all day everyday for 10-13 hrs. I know that's part of the job for everyone but I'm just really not enjoying working on an ambulance and transporting all day. If I want to do medic I know I need experience. I thought about trying to get a job in a hospital or urgent care and see if I like that any better until I start medic school. But I don't know, should I even bother with medic school if I'm not enjoying it now?

I know medics do basic transfers as well and ems isn't all balls to the wall lights and sirens all day, and I knew that going in. So I don't know. I don't know what to do, should I look for a career change? Do I bother with doing medic if I'm not liking it so much now? The part I enjoy is actually running 911s and responding to real emergencies. I guess I'm just lost with what to do with my life, if I'm not enjoying this do you guys think I'll not enjoy medic as well?

Austin carawan

Forum Crew Member
I can't really relate to medic man, but I just know fire was the best choice I've ever made, maybe get in a volunteer fire dept if you aren't already and see how you like it

OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain
I can't really relate to medic man, but I just know fire was the best choice I've ever made, maybe get in a volunteer fire dept if you aren't already and see how you like it
I know most departments want medic, don't they? I'm just really not liking doing transfers all day, it's not what I trained in school to do. Like I said I know it's part of job working for an ambulance company, but I don't know how much longer I can do it. I was going to get my medic first then my fire 1 & 2. Should I maybe do fire first and try to get in with a department? I know it's not easy to get hired in. I got into this because I want a fun, exciting job that'd I'd enjoy. Im not getting that now. Didn't mean to post twice by the way.

Austin carawan

Forum Crew Member
You good man, every fd is different, volunteer is a great way to get your start, I love my vfd... And it gives you a great feeling of self worth man, I'll never turn my pager off to a 3am activated alarm, because it's fun... The way my department is set up, basic is sufficient for most of our calls because a medic usually is right behind us. I don't know man, I ain't but 18, your 19 so I'm assuming like me you didn't go to college to be an engineer? That's a big commitment and you felt strongly enough for that career that you made that sacrifice. I enjoy firefighting because what other job do they pay you to sleep at man!?!?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Lol fast paced?

OP, before you completely write EMS off, it sounds like it might just be the employer that you hate. Transfers are not a part of all EMS services. 911 is entirely different. It's still not saving lives daily high-speed stuff. Many of the calls are quite mundane. But it's entirely different than a transfer service. What sucks is you have far less opportunities as a basic, especially depending on your location.

With that said, there's nothing wrong with deciding a path isn't right for you. Especially if you're only 19.

OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain
Lol fast paced?

OP, before you completely write EMS off, it sounds like it might just be the employer that you hate. Transfers are not a part of all EMS services. 911 is entirely different. It's still not saving lives daily high-speed stuff. Many of the calls are quite mundane. But it's entirely different than a transfer service. What sucks is you have far less opportunities as a basic, especially depending on your location.

With that said, there's nothing wrong with deciding a path isn't right for you. Especially if you're only 19.
I understand it's not all shootings, stabbings, and drug overdoses all the time. Ive rode on trucks that were 911 even bls. And that's what I liked, wether it was a bs "I have a rash so I called 911" call or an assault, I enjoyed it. Right now I hate it, it's all day everyday hospital to hospital, hospital to nursing home or home transfers.I want to have fun and enjoy the job. Where would I find out if a company runs 911s with bls units? Contact them directly? I know it doesn't say that stuff on their website, and I know the 3 companies that are closest to me, their bls trucks all do transfers all day just like I'm doing now.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Calling is certainly effective. Ask around with your employees, too. What area do you live in? Also realize that some regions simply do not have basics responding to 911 calls, so you might have to move if you want to do that. Or just go to paramedic school...

OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain
Calling is certainly effective. Ask around with your employees, too. What area do you live in? Also realize that some regions simply do not have basics responding to 911 calls, so you might have to move if you want to do that. Or just go to paramedic school...
Yea I was thinking just going right into paramedic school and not working as an emt but I figured companies would want experience. I do know people who went straight through to medic and didn't work as emts and have jobs but I thought since I have the license and I need a job anyway why not do it. I didn't know it was going to be like this. But in metro Detroit area, I figure companies IN Detroit would probably be more likely to have 911 bls units.

I want to start medic in the fall and I know it's like a 6 month program where I plan to take it. I guess I could just get a job elsewhere that doesn't work long hours and I don't dread it and focus on going to and getting through medic. Is it a big difference being on an ALS truck as a medic than being an emt on a bls truck?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I don't know if she still gets on here, but @Anjel might have some insight on where to work. You might want to PM her.

Experience isn't needed for paramedic school. I do recommend working during it if you can, though. You'll be able to start seeing what you're learning on actual patients and having some "ah ha" moments. Kinda like clinical studies that you're getting paid for. While the majority of calls are BLS, I thought it did feel different being a medic vs a basic on a unit. I only worked as a basic for a few months during paramedic school, but I always felt like my hands were tied as a basic.

OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain
I don't know if she still gets on here, but @Anjel might have some insight on where to work. You might want to PM her.

Experience isn't needed for paramedic school. I do recommend working during it if you can, though. You'll be able to start seeing what you're learning on actual patients and having some "ah ha" moments. Kinda like clinical studies that you're getting paid for. While the majority of calls are BLS, I thought it did feel different being a medic vs a basic on a unit. I only worked as a basic for a few months during paramedic school, but I always felt like my hands were tied as a basic.
Thanks. I guess I won't totally give up on it and still go to medic school and if I become medic and don't like that then I'll know it's not the field for me. I may just look a job not ems related until then because if I'm not motivated to do the job and don't like it, I don't think it's fair to the patients. Even though I do what I'm supposed to do and try to be positive.

All the things I learned going through emt schooling almost all the skills I learned I'm not using. Its never an emergency so a full assessment on the patient is never nessacary. I go in ask how they're feeling, get automatic bp, get a report and all their history from the nurse and that's it. I don't feel like an emt, I feel like a transporter and I'm not liking the job at all. I wouldn't mind it once in a while but not do it everyday for 10-13 hour shifts.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
All I can tell you, is I'm a fireman and what you're talking about that you want is something I get to see daily. We run ems calls, not super often, but when we do it's fast paced. Firefighting has been the best thing to ever happen to me and being. Firefighter with basic emt cert is great because you become a valuable asset to your crew. And it's a good feeling to know if I fall out in this fire the guy behind me on the hose can save me. Some days are better than other, maybe you're just in a low spot.

EMS in a small volly department is going to be very VERY different then EMS in a larger city. Along will Fire. Night and day differences.

OP- more honestly then not, 911 calls are not going to be a emergent and aren't going to be a matter of life and death. You have to be willing to take the good with the bad. If EMS doesn't appeal to you, no big deal. You're young. You will figure it all out.

OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain
EMS in a small volly department is going to be very VERY different then EMS in a larger city. Along will Fire. Night and day differences.

OP- more honestly then not, 911 calls are not going to be a emergent and aren't going to be a matter of life and death. You have to be willing to take the good with the bad. If EMS doesn't appeal to you, no big deal. You're young. You will figure it all out.
Yes I know that. I'm not looking to be out running trauma calls and doing CPR all day. But like I said I don't want to be doing what I'm doing now either, all pre scheduled transports. I guess I just want to be actually out there even if 90% of it is bs 911 calls.

Smitty213

Contributor of Tidbits
If you do end up looking to move, Buffalo and Detroit are similar in many ways (including cost of living) and the city 911 service has a $1000 signing bonuses for basics and you will certainly see some stuff; there is a shortage of paramedics in the city, so BLS handles many calls.

OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain
If you do end up looking to move, Buffalo and Detroit are similar in many ways (including cost of living) and the city 911 service has a $1000 signing bonuses for basics and you will certainly see some stuff; there is a shortage of paramedics in the city, so BLS handles many calls.
I don't think it'd be worth it to move out of state since I do plan to do medic in the fall. I wanted some 911 experience but if I can't get it then I may look at hospital or urgent cares and places like that. I feel like I could learn a lot being around nurses and physicians as well.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Just airing this out here, but if you're becoming a medic because it'll get you in with the FD and not because being a medic interests you then you're doing this for all the wrong reasons. Be a medic because you want to be, not because you have to be. Not saying that this is true in your case, just putting it out there.

Transfers suck. They're the nasty buttcrack of EMS. While yes on a 911 rig you respond to most of your calls via lights/sirens I would say that just a few are true emergencies. For the most part like STXmedic said they're mundane but as a EMT especially working with a medic you do pick up a few things. Does your current company do 911? Or is it strictly IFT? Maybe look into a 911 company. A change in scenery (i.e. 911) helps.

Oh and as for the FD is faced paced, maybe every once in a great while depending on where you're at. Pretty much on a regular medical aid a fire medic will show up, do an assessment, vitals, 4 lead (12 if cardiac), and give a run down to the ambulance crew and thats pretty much it. Not sure where this faced paced stuff is coming from.

OP
OP
T

Tk11

Forum Captain
Just airing this out here, but if you're becoming a medic because it'll get you in with the FD and not because being a medic interests you then you're doing this for all the wrong reasons. Be a medic because you want to be, not because you have to be. Not saying that this is true in your case, just putting it out there.

Transfers suck. They're the nasty buttcrack of EMS. While yes on a 911 rig you respond to most of your calls via lights/sirens I would say that just a few are true emergencies. For the most part like STXmedic said they're mundane but as a EMT especially working with a medic you do pick up a few things. Does your current company do 911? Or is it strictly IFT? Maybe look into a 911 company. A change in scenery (i.e. 911) helps.

Oh and as for the FD is faced paced, maybe every once in a great while depending on where you're at. Pretty much on a regular medical aid a fire medic will show up, do an assessment, vitals, 4 lead (12 if cardiac), and give a run down to the ambulance crew and thats pretty much it. Not sure where this faced paced stuff is coming from.
I don't want to do medic just because I want to get hired in a FD. I decdied that I want to be a paramedic even before wanting to do fire as well. I just don't see myself working for a private ambulance company forever. And of course the fire part interests me too.

I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing and since I'm not enjoying this emt job so much if I should continue. You guys are saying it could just be the company and I didn't really too much of that, figured it'd be the same somewhere else. As far as the company, when Interviewed I asked "do you guys run with medic and medic emt and emt or medic and emt?" I was told "we do try to get medics and emt working together as much as we can, but some counties require the same level of licensere"

Then got to orientation and was told basically for the most part they don't pair emt and medics unless there's a situation someone can't work or whatever. And I haven't seen it. Like I said all their bls units are doing transfers all day, they are stocked and everything for 911 and can be dispatched to a 911 call, but I haven't heard one bls unit dispatched to a 911 yet. So I don't ever expect it when I go into work.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
At least at the ALS level, balls to the wall every call EMS does exist if you want it. You can get great experience as a basic in certain places too, but I doubt it would be worth uprooting your life for it as an EMT-B.