Is all experience equal?

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
So I recently got a call back from a company that I applied for and had a nice chat with the owner. He was very pleasent, offered me a job, but stressed one thing. They only do routine transport for dialysis centers, and many of his drivers are not even EMT-B certified, because it isn't in their contract to provide medical care, just transports. They do stretcher moves etc.

I know starting out one can't be picky. But I'm worried that this isn't the right kind of experience, since they don't do any kind of patient care. I have an OK non-EMS related job right now that pays almost the same, so I would hate to quit it and not make a firm move towards the EMS field. I was just hoping you guys could shed some light on if working for a strictly routine transport company is a good starting point.

Achilles

Forum Moron
So I recently got a call back from a company that I applied for and had a nice chat with the owner. He was very pleasent, offered me a job, but stressed one thing. They only do routine transport for dialysis centers, and many of his drivers are not even EMT-B certified, because it isn't in their contract to provide medical care, just transports. They do stretcher moves etc.

I know starting out one can't be picky. But I'm worried that this isn't the right kind of experience, since they don't do any kind of patient care. I have an OK non-EMS related job right now that pays almost the same, so I would hate to quit it and not make a firm move towards the EMS field. I was just hoping you guys could shed some light on if working for a strictly routine transport company is a good starting point.

Well it is experience, it's most certainly not the expirence you would get working in a level 1 trauma center or a 911 service. It depends on what you want to do in life, do you want to transporting people all over the city or do you want to be a D.O.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Will the pay be an increase of what you're doing now? If yes, take the job.

OP
OP
S

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
Will the pay be an increase of what you're doing now? If yes, take the job.

It pays a little more, but if further away and requires the use of toll roads. So it'd probably be a wash on take home pay.

Achilles, my short to mid term goal is to work as a Paramedic, possibly for one of the local fire departments (who run the EMS in my area). To get to the 911 service, I need to get some experience. It just seems to me working as chauffeur (basically) might not be the experience I need to get to a 911 service job.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Compare the flexibility of your current schedule to the new job and how that will mesh with paramedic school. That might give you a clue too.

OP
OP
S

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
Compare the flexibility of your current schedule to the new job and how that will mesh with paramedic school. That might give you a clue too.

This is something I'm concerned about. My current job has more flexibility and is closer. I think I'm going to pass on this one and keep working to find something more inline with what I really want to do. Thanks for the input guys.

FuManChu

Forum Crew Member
This is just my personal opinion, but I would hold off and wait for a good EMT job where you can get some experience. Even if its just BLS transport, you'll still do assessments, write PCR's , get vitals, etc. This company doesn't sound like a BLS company to me, right?

You have a job now, so why not wait for the right opportunity? If you didn't have a job, and you needed to pay for bills, housing, food, etc then i would say go for it, a job is a job. Since you have a job already though, wait for the right opportunity! If you take this job, you may be miserable. I say this from experience. I was too excited after I finished my EMT course, and I took the first job I could find. I regret it, but the opportunity for a better job has just popped up.

Just my .02

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
This is just my personal opinion, but I would hold off and wait for a good EMT job where you can get some experience. Even if its just BLS transport, you'll still do assessments, write PCR's , get vitals, etc. This company doesn't sound like a BLS company to me, right?

You have a job now, so why not wait for the right opportunity? If you didn't have a job, and you needed to pay for bills, housing, food, etc then i would say go for it, a job is a job. Since you have a job already though, wait for the right opportunity! If you take this job, you may be miserable. I say this from experience. I was too excited after I finished my EMT course, and I took the first job I could find. I regret it, but the opportunity for a better job has just popped up.

Just my .02
I happen to agree with this...

Not all experiences are equal experiences. I would highly advise waiting for the right place to work where you will do assessments, write reports, give verbal reports, and have to think about what's going on with your patient. That company may still only do transports, but if you're required to do patient assessments, do them right. Eventually you'll get to the point where it's just something you do automatically and quickly. Also, use the opportunity to begin learning some of the commonly prescribed meds. That'll only help you down the road.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
Beggars cant be choosers. To be honest, as an entry level EMT there isn't much you are going to learn that's going to prepare you for being a Paramedic aside from learning basic patient care, documentation, lifting and moving patients and driving an ambulance. That job will probably do almost as well as any other in teaching you those things, so why not. I doubt you're going to find anything better with no experience, especially in Florida.