Intubations

gradygirl

TROUBLE
Hey y'all. Umm, so I got intubated and extubated yesterday and my throat still hurts. I have some chloroseptic, which works for about a minute, but wears off as I swallow. (The vicodin and naprosyn don't seem to do much either.) I wanted to know if anyone has any other tips of how to help cut the pain down. Thanks! ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
TCERT1987 said:
Hey y'all. Umm, so I got intubated and extubated yesterday and my throat still hurts. I have some chloroseptic, which works for about a minute, but wears off as I swallow. (The vicodin and naprosyn don't seem to do much either.) I wanted to know if anyone has any other tips of how to help cut the pain down. Thanks! ^_^

I've been intubated.......try not to talk too much, if you smoke.....don't smoke while you're healing. Stay away from extremely hot (temp or spicy wise) foods. Suck on ice cubes. Your pain meds do help....other than that, give it a few days. Hope you feel better soon. What happened that you had to be intubated?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
See if your Doc will write you a prescription for viscous Lidocaine, or some Cetacaine spray..

R/r 911

doc5242

Forum Crew Member
cepacol throat lozenges, medicated with 2% benzocaine, I used to give all my Pt's that had sore throats in boot camp, .....all those whiny recruits I beleve you ca buy it OTC, now but i am not sure

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Just drink a lot of beer and swill some Captain Morgans. You'll forget all about the sore throat after a while. :D

OP
OP
gradygirl

gradygirl

TROUBLE
fm_emt said:
Just drink a lot of beer and swill some Captain Morgans. You'll forget all about the sore throat after a while. :D

Haha! I think I'll try that. ...but didn't the Vicodin say something about no alcohol?... Ah, well, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
I like the alcohol theory - mead would be good, too!

Why were you in/extubated (if you don't mind me asking)?

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Here's what you need: 6mg morphine, 30mg toradol, followed with a benadryl chaser. I was dead to the world for 3 hours in the hallway of a busy ER. :) I felt NO pain anywhere!

OP
OP
gradygirl

gradygirl

TROUBLE
Kendall said:
I like the alcohol theory - mead would be good, too!

Why were you in/extubated (if you don't mind me asking)?

I had knee surgery to remove extra tissue.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Ok... I hope you feel better.

The whole vicodan+ETOH issue is that vicodan increses the effects of alcohol on you.