intubation as a basic skill

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakobsmommy2004

Forum Crew Member
i was just wondering where u all live and learned intubation as a basic skill. i live in ohio and it was a station for our national registry practical. i know its in the Brady text book for basics but some states dont require for testing.

MeaganIV

Forum Crew Member
What do you mean intubation as a basic skill.

Paramedics, right now, are the only ones allowed to perform ET's.

eek

OP
OP
jakobsmommy2004

jakobsmommy2004

Forum Crew Member
alot of the companies in the toledo ohio area have protocols that allow it on an apnic and pulseless Pt as a basic but only from on-line medcontrol

Last edited by a moderator:

MeaganIV

Forum Crew Member
So they don't even need a supervising paramedic?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Some states allow basics to intubate, but that does not make it right. There is even a heated debate to see if Paramedics should still be taught intubation techniques.

Again, skills versus knowledge is not the same!

R/r 911

MeaganIV

Forum Crew Member
I agree with R/R. I mean, intubating takes skill. Its a highly invassive procedure and needs a great deal of know how. I'm not allowed to do it as an EMT-A but with the supervision of a paramedic I'm allowed.

A lot can go wrong with tubing such as insertion. The tube could be placed in the esophogus and create gastric distension, even though the placement isn't blind. It could be placed in to far and will only inflate the right lung.

it can also hit the vagus nerve and mess up the heart rate leading to dangerous arrythmias.

ugh.

MeaganIV

Forum Crew Member
thats a good thing!

Epi-do

I see dead people
Basics can't intubate in Indiana, and if I heard anyone around here suggest that they be able to do so, I think I would have to knock some sense into them. At the basic level we most certainly do not receive the education needed to go along with the skills training and, unfortunately, I don't see that changing anytime soon. You can train a monkey to do just about anything, but that doesn't mean you should.

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
Intubation is so easy my 8 year old can intubate the dummy.

Intubation is and should be a basic skill. With out air the pt. dies plan and simple.

Fedmedic

Forum Lieutenant
Intubation is so easy my 8 year old can intubate the dummy.

Intubation is and should be a basic skill. With out air the pt. dies plan and simple.

Especially with pulseless and apneic patients, they are already dead. The worst thing you could do would be save their life...

JavaMedic

Forum Ride Along
Basic intubation

I agree with JeepMedic. It's too easy. If you can stick a straw into a drink without poking your eye out then you're pretty much qualified to intubate. The time spent teaching intubation skills is less in the medic program than it is in the basic. Even most medical schools spend less time teaching intubation for soon to be doctors. I WANT my basic to be able to tube. Keeps my hands free to do other things (ie: defib, IV's, drugs...). If all you want is too have your basic partner carry your bag then you need to check your ego. This isn't rocket science.

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
It is not the skill of intubation it is doing the assessment to find out if they need intubation. Airways are not used enough in the field. I am talking about the basic OPA and NPA airways.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
with the appropriate training, basics should absolutely be able to intubate. i am a basic. i have had advanced airway management training, based on previous work requirments. its not that complictaed a skill that a basic cant do it and any statement to the contrary is paragodism at its finest

MeaganIV

Forum Crew Member
THe thing about intubation is that it actually does require more skill then you think.

Its dangerous, invasive, and has consequenses especially when trying to place it.

It should not be a basic skill because it is NOT basic.

MeaganIV

Forum Crew Member
I know how to intubate too and I still think it should be left to the guys who have had substantially more training then me... paramedics.

I'm happy sticking with my combitube, my LMA and my BVM until I complete my paramedic...

Its kind of why only CCP's can perform cricothyroidotomies..

I think thats how you spell it.

I'm sorry if anyone disagrees but those are my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.