Interview

Ediron

Forum Crew Member
with Bowers ambulance
its going to be an interview with at least 15 applicants so I want to go in there and show them I really want the job
any suggestions??
pointers??

they also are asking to bring and H6
I know im supposed to get it from the DMV, but do they charge you for it?
and im also going to get my ambulance license on Monday the interview is February 1st. does it take long to receive ur license from the DMV?

Im out here in Cali BTW

Danson

Forum Crew Member
I researched their website so I could tell them why I wanted to work with bowers specifically. The real important part is just being confident but not cocky when you are being interviewed. Know why you want to be an EMT with bowers.

As for the DMV stuff: you can request the H6 when you are at the counter getting your Amb license. I'm not sure if it costs anything, but just bring your debit card to be sure. They will give you a temporary license when you go so you should be fine with that.

Hope this helps.

Bruiser

Forum Ride Along
The H6 costs $5.00. DMV is closed on 1/29/10. When getting the ambulance license make sure you have a livescan that says something along the lines of Ambulance certification. You cannot use the livescan you used to get the county ems license with. Sometimes the lady at the counter will take it but when they send it up to sacramento you will get a letter in the mail saying you need a live scan for ambulance driving.

LeoLi4

Forum Probie
Just be prepare the usual interview questions like your strong and weakness. prepare a few situation that demonstrate your leadership, emergency situation and how you handle stress. And also some situation that shows them your relationship with your previous co-workers and/or managers.

Dress appropriately. Not sure what you will do on that day, but for me I had to do skill and written test on the same day of the interview. so you don't want to overdress if you know they will have you lifting and do some physical.

Hope this help and good luck :)

fire_911medic

Forum Crew Member
Hey there,

congrats on getting an interview couple of points to take in mind here

1. Dress professional - I don't know if you are male or female. But if you are a female this doesn't mean a dress, but dress pants and a nice shirt/sweater that look professional (ie business attire) is good - a suit on a female typically is a bit much in my experience. By all means pants should be clean and well pressed looking crisp as well as shirt. Make sure your hair is tidy and not hanging in your face if you have certain cuts - down is okay as long as simple, but ponytails are best saved for another day. For guys, well pressed dockers, khakis, or plain dress pants are fine. Dress shirt with tie is appropriate - but a suit for you is typically over the top (but then again, depends on the service. Doesn't hurt to ask what will be required in the interview. If skills are a portion of it, then either dress as above (you can usually still do skills successfully then) or bring clothes to change into.

2. Save the slang for another day. Yeah, yep, or the like are considered unprofessional and immature. Just don't use them.

3. Bring along a copy of your resume for the interviewer to relate to. Often they don't have a hard copy in front of them, and it looks responsible if you have one prepared for them to refer to. You can always keep it should they not need it. Carry in a black/brown/navy folder that's subtle.

4. DO YOUR HOMEWORK - find out something about the company before you go in there. Often, one of the first questions I've been asked is what do you know about our company and why do you want to work here? Obviously, if they cater to the transport environment and you want to work 911, it's not a good fit and they won't hire you. Also, don't be afraid to find out what areas they cover, and why you want to cater to that area - is it because you want to take care of your community? because you desire to work in urban ems? or rural ems? Is it because they have an excellent reputation for caring for their employees? If they have won awards recently (last 2 years)- helps to mention them shows that you have done your homework.

5. If you finished with an excellent score in your class or were top of it, whatever, that can be to your benefit to relay. In addition, if you are wanting to actively pursue your medic and have taken anatomy/physiology or other classes pertinent to EMS those are good to highlight.

6. Always have a couple questions prepared to ask at the end of the interview - you don't want to look stupid by saying nope, I think you've covered it. Don't be afraid to ask about continuing education, education benefits, etc. You want to look like you could apply anywhere and be considered a valuable asset. Be eager, but listen closely.

7. ALWAYS thank them for their time, then ask for a card if you have additional questions. Send a thank you via e-mail as soon as you get home highlighting why you are the person for the job. Little things like that stand out and makes you stand out a little more (if in tight competition, that may give the edge you need). If you don't hear anything back, follow up with them every week until they tell you the position is filled. Keep in touch, but always be polite. Also - just another note - make sure your car is clean (I've had them say later that was something they noticed was my car was clean and they knew I'd keep the truck clean) and that you're polite to everybody. Alot of places will use someone else or other employees to screen how you interact with the crew. Don't be suprised if they have you wait for a bit just to see your interaction with them - I promise they'll likely ask them later what they thought and you want that impression to be good !

8. Last thing to note - be sure your facebook/myspace/twitter etc are clean and pics are something that would be professionally accepted. Yes employers do scope out potential employees ! Been done many times.

Finally, Good luck ! I hope you have good success and look forward to hearing how it went for you !

LeoLi4

Forum Probie
I agree with the facebook and myspace. My wife is in charge of hiring in her work place and those website are one of the places they look for information about the applicant.

fire_911medic

Forum Crew Member
I agree with the facebook and myspace. My wife is in charge of hiring in her work place and those website are one of the places they look for information about the applicant.

This is a growing concern as more and more people, especially within the EMS and other public safety professions are getting into trouble for their facebook/myspace content. Several people i know have deactivated their accounts while job hunting for this very reason. It's amazing what people will post in a public venue.

JPINFV

Gadfly
This is a growing concern as more and more people, especially within the EMS and other public safety professions are getting into trouble for their facebook/myspace content. Several people i know have deactivated their accounts while job hunting for this very reason. It's amazing what people will post in a public venue.

That's why smart people take their names off of public search and restrict most of their profile to "friends of friends" or higher.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
15 Aplicants huh? thats not that bad, when i interviewed with Pacific (bower's brother company) there was 36 applicants and only 8 spots

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
did they say how many where gonna get in?

Rookie

Forum Probie
I'm one of those too as well
I have a question about the livescan for the DMV. Does the DMV give you the livescan form to take a livescan location?

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
I'm one of those too as well
I have a question about the livescan for the DMV. Does the DMV give you the livescan form to take a livescan location?

yes they give you a different livescan form that u have to take to a policestation or DOJ location to get done

here is a SAMPLE of the form: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/ol/dmv8016.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: