Interview at Hospital

Twix623

Forum Crew Member
I have an interview at a hospital in two weeks for a patient care tech job since I have my EMT-B.

They told me it's two parts, first the Calculation Test which I need to pass with a 80% or higher, and secondly part two being a interview with a nurse.

I just need tips on both, I really don't know what to expect on the calculations test since I'm not the brightest in math. And well the interview, I hadn't had one in years. Thanks all.

eveningsky339

Forum Lieutenant
So this is a patient care tech job, not an ER tech job? I've never heard of such a thing for EMT-Bs.

I worked as a CNA on a Med/Surg floor for over a year (and abandoned nursing for EMS, thank Bob). I was in a rural hospital, so no PCTs were around. But I was very active in various CNA forums, in which there were several PCTs present. Those guys typically took a CNA course plus phlebotomy/EKG.

EMT-Bs tend to have a larger scope of practice than most CNAs, so I can see why that would qualify you for PCT, but will you need to learn phleb and EKG as well?

I'm afraid I can't help you in terms of tips for the calculations portion, but in the interview with the RN, you will want to follow basic job interview tips.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
So this is a patient care tech job, not an ER tech job? I've never heard of such a thing for EMT-Bs.

I worked as a CNA on a Med/Surg floor for over a year (and abandoned nursing for EMS, thank Bob). I was in a rural hospital, so no PCTs were around. But I was very active in various CNA forums, in which there were several PCTs present. Those guys typically took a CNA course plus phlebotomy/EKG.

EMT-Bs tend to have a larger scope of practice than most CNAs, so I can see why that would qualify you for PCT, but will you need to learn phleb and EKG as well?

I'm afraid I can't help you in terms of tips for the calculations portion, but in the interview with the RN, you will want to follow basic job interview tips.

I work as a PCT in a hospital PACU with just my EMT-B. Granted, I had been working as a non-certified MA in an OB-GYN office for a while prior to that, but the two jobs are obviously quite different. I am currently obtaining my CNA because you don't learn how to take care of foleys, make beds or help with ADLs in EMT school. :) It will also make me better prepared for nursing school.

As far as your test and interview, I would recommend picking up a review book. There are several "Math for Nurses" pocket-style review guides available. Confidence is important in your interview. Dress well. You should wear a suit and tie if you're a guy. Skirt/dress or pant suit for women. During my interview, the two nurse managers interviewing me mentioned being very impressed that I had cleaned up and dressed up for the interview. I thought that wearing a suit to an interview was a no-brainer. Apparently it is not. They mentioned one candidate coming to the interview in flip-flops.

On hospital interviews I have found that they tend to give me a tour of the floor. Ask questions with the presumption that you will land the job, meaning ask "So what will I be expected to do when...?" instead of "If I work here... what will I do...?"

Research the hospital and specific floor as much as you can. Dig through their website thoroughly. What services do they offer? Do they have any specialties, distinctions, awards? Is it a teaching hospital? Does it have a religious affiliation? Check out the press releases on the hospital's website. Google the name of the hospital and see if you can find any news stories on it.

Evaluate your strengths and weaknesses in regards to this position. Be able to concisely explain what your strengths are, and honestly describe your weaknesses. Provide remedies and plans to improve your weaknesses. For example, if your only health care education is EMT-B, you will be lacking in the skills I mentioned above such as catheter care and assisting activities of daily living. Plan to obtain further education. You will not be effective working in a hospital with just your EMT-B and no prior experience. Period. Don't just tell your interviewers "I plan to further my education," give them specifics.

Do you have any prior experience that would help you in this position? It doesn't have to be in health care. The PACU I work at has both adult and pediatric patients. Although I have not worked in pediatrics specifically, they liked that I had been a nanny and worked in a nursery for several years during high school. Even customer service or retail experience can be applied to health care jobs. Yes, you will list these jobs on your resume, but think about how you can apply any skills you learned there to this job. Don't over-stretch it, though.

Come up with a list of questions. Every interview ends with "Do you have any questions?" Don't end up being the guy that just sits there wide-eyed saying "uhhhh... no." Be able to ask smart, relevant questions. Ask if the hospital provides continuing education or tuition assistance. I asked the nurses what their own background was - we had a nice discussion about how the PACU relates to the ED as one of the nurses has worked in the ED for 15 years prior to coming to the PACU.

Good luck!

eveningsky339

Forum Lieutenant
I work as a PCT in a hospital PACU with just my EMT-B. Granted, I had been working as a non-certified MA in an OB-GYN office for a while prior to that, but the two jobs are obviously quite different. I am currently obtaining my CNA because you don't learn how to take care of foleys, make beds or help with ADLs in EMT school. :) It will also make me better prepared for nursing school.
Yes, the CNA/EMT combo is something I would highly recommend if you plan on sticking around in a hospital setting.

My CNA course was, unfortunately, taught by nursing home RNs. Therefore we focused only on ALDs, no foley care or advanced practice skills. I had to learn all that myself on the floor of the hospital.

OP
OP
Twix623

Twix623

Forum Crew Member
Thanks all for the help and advice. I guess I'll pick up a calculations book or something to study with for the next two weeks. I guess I'll just see how it goes! I just really suck at math, eh. I'm obviously going to be nervous with the interview but I'm sure I can hopefully pull it off.

I live in Maryland, but only DC hospitals allow EMT's as PCT/ER Tech's. Luckily DC isn't far from me at all. Don't really know where else I would use my EMT-B in Maryland other than private ambulance companies. But I currently volunteer at a rescue squad.