Inquest hears paramedics could have saved life

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
It is not normal practice to have Advanced Paramedics at sporting events in New Zealand.
They are a bit thin on the ground to sit at such occasions, on the off chance that something serious will happen.
I also couldn't see such event management wanting to pay an advanced paramedic's wages, when they can get a few vollies,
which doesn't cost the ambulance service in wages, only in petrol and equipment. The ambulance service still get a fee or donation from the event folk.

Story as attached...
http://www.odt.co.nz/regions/otago/213014/inquest-hears-paramedics-could-have-saved-life

Your thoughts???

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If there wasn't a provider with RSI capabilities present I don't know how they could better manage her airway while she was awake without trismus...I'm assuming when they say she was conscious that she had a gag reflex as well unless I'm misreading it.

That article has monday morning quarterbacking all over it. People voluntarily participate in dangerous sports every day, knowing the risk they are putting themselves at, then it's the EMS providers' or the hospital's fault when they die. It's a tragic incident and my heart goes out to her family but really people?

Since the potential for a severe mechanism of injury was so high why didn't they have a HEMS unit on scene on standby? :rolleyes:

DPM

Forum Captain
Since the potential for a severe mechanism of injury was so high why didn't they have a HEMS unit on scene on standby? :rolleyes:

Quite.

It sounds like the Ambulance on scene operated to the limit of it's scope which unfortunately wasn't enough to help this woman. The extent of medical care requested and paid for is not the responsibility of the provider. It was the race organizers decided what level of care they found appropriate. And there is no way to tell whether or not RSI would have saved her. It is not Mr Story's fault that she died, though this truly terrible piece of journalism seems to infer that.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Rsi is all good but what about a cric tube? I'm not sure how paramedic levels work down in nz but why aren't all medics able to administer RSI meds?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Rsi is all good but what about a cric tube? I'm not sure how paramedic levels work down in nz but why aren't all medics able to administer RSI meds?

RSI is something that's really best limited to a select few.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief

Our medics up here , even ICPs (Intensive care) cannot RSI. We have a few trauma doctors with the capability on helicopters and around our capital.

As far as i'm aware only the MICA paramedics in Victoria can RSI in Aus. Not too sure about NZ

Also I love it how the media is always looking for people to blame. Speedboat racing is a dangerous sport with many inherent risks. People frequently get injured and die. People compete knowing these risks, and when a boat flips suddenly everyone wants to blame the Ambulance officers for not 'saving' her.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Our medics up here , even ICPs (Intensive care) cannot RSI. We have a few trauma doctors with the capability on helicopters and around our capital.

As far as i'm aware only the MICA paramedics in Victoria can RSI in Aus. Not too sure about NZ

Also I love it how the media is always looking for people to blame. Speedboat racing is a dangerous sport with many inherent risks. People frequently get injured and die. People compete knowing these risks, and when a boat flips suddenly everyone wants to blame the Ambulance officers for not 'saving' her.

What about a cricoidthyrodimy(think I may have misspelled that) are any paramedics allowed to do that? It may have been a better idea for a patient with head trauma than going nasal.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
a HEMS units? why not just have a trauma surgeon on scene, as well as a mobile ER waiting in the parking lot?

Actually, that's not too much of a stretch, because when i worked event staff, for football games and major events, we had 3 nurses, 2 doctors, 4 paramedics (in 2 teams, one up stairs and one downstairs, both with stretchers), and 6-10 EMTs scattered around.

While I don't doubt that a more trained individual could have helped the injured party, there has to be a line to say how educated and equipped the provider needs to be, to handle the majority of incidents.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
What about a cricoidthyrodimy(think I may have misspelled that) are any paramedics allowed to do that? It may have been a better idea for a patient with head trauma than going nasal.

In New Mexico, it's a state-standard paramedic skill. In Texas, it's pretty common.