Inner City BLS

emt584841

Forum Ride Along
Hey Guys,

I just got an inner city EMS job. I haven't started yet and i'm wondering what kind of equipment/gear I should carry? It's not bad to the point where I need a vest but a friend suggested that I get a duty belt and so far all I have on that is a flashlight and my conterra radio holder. Any suggestion?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
A pen. That is all.

hoop762

Forum Crew Member
I like to keep it simple. The only things I carry on my belt are my pager and key fob.

On my person I always carry a flash light, pens, pen light, small notepad, shears, pocket knife and a couple extra pairs of gloves.

I don't have the need to go around wearing a belt only Batman himself could appreciate.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Wait till you start working and find out what your service gives you and what you really need.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Definitely get a Level IIIa ballistic helmet and flak jacket. You just never know.

I like to carry a knife in my boot, also. Just in case.

:ph34r:

But the only thing I use all the time is my trusty Otterbox holster for my iphone and my ink pen.

Probably save your money on that other stuff.

OP
OP
E

emt584841

Forum Ride Along
An otter box wont do anything...I broke me thick otter box doing every day things

Definitely get a Level IIIa ballistic helmet and flak jacket. You just never know.

I like to carry a knife in my boot, also. Just in case.

:ph34r:

But the only thing I use all the time is my trusty Otterbox holster for my iphone and my ink pen.

Probably save your money on that other stuff.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
You have crappy luck, then. Mine is holding up wonderfully :)

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
An otter box wont do anything...I broke me thick otter box doing every day things

Probably should start practicing on being more careful, too. If you can't keep your phone with you, you might die of boredom or facebook withdrawals.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Wait till you start working and find out what your service gives you and what you really need.
as well as what their people have. My agency issues all field personnel leather gloves, radio holsters, and helmets to all staff.

See what others use, then decide what you want to buy.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Probably should start practicing on being more careful, too. If you can't keep your phone with you, you might die of boredom or facebook withdrawals.

Possibly the most dangerous part of working inner city EMS right there. OP take a couple shifts to look around and see what everyone else is doing, if only two people are wearing bat belts, save your money and pride and don't bother. Alternatively screw everyone else, save some money, and wear whatever you want, it's not likely going to make or break much for you.

OP
OP
E

emt584841

Forum Ride Along
Possibly the most dangerous part of working inner city EMS right there. OP take a couple shifts to look around and see what everyone else is doing, if only two people are wearing bat belts, save your money and pride and don't bother. Alternatively screw everyone else, save some money, and wear whatever you want, it's not likely going to make or break much for you.

I got the bat belt idea from a friend who works at the same place

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I got the bat belt idea from a friend who works at the same place

I know, that's why I said see what everyone else is wearing. If you're friend is the only one wearing one, I would not follow in his footsteps unless you have thick skin.

OP
OP
E

emt584841

Forum Ride Along
I know, that's why I said see what everyone else is wearing. If you're friend is the only one wearing one, I would not follow in his footsteps unless you have thick skin.

I hear ya... I am debating wearing it the first day just to like you said see what everyone else is doing...I dont want to look like a super wacker

DrParasite

I hear ya... I am debating wearing it the first day just to like you said see what everyone else is doing...I dont want to look like a super wacker
wear only what is issued to you on the first day..... once you see what everyone else wears, than go nuts. but remember, many of the stuff that you will buy you will either use, or think omg why did I spend my own money on this??

btw, I have my own swivel radio holster, leather gloves, helmet, batbelt, jacket, flashlight, scope, and umbrella, and when I am on an inner city BLS truck I bring it all with me. But I have thick enough skin to tolerate the comments people make.... and enjoyed being dry when they got drenched in a rainstorm.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
You get a lot of use with that stuff up in dispatch?

;) :D

DrParasite

apparently you missed this part:
when I am on an inner city BLS truck I bring it all with me.
Dispatch requires a headset, my laptop, and super comfy slip on shoes :D

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Sure. Rub it in. Jerk... :p

JPINFV

Gadfly
Another thing is after working a few shifts feel free to add things that makes your day easier. I'm currently the only student at my current location that carries a clip board case, and learning from my stent in EMS, I've already procured the cardboard backing from a pad of forms.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
You made the implication that it was a "rough" area. Instead of spending time browsing different equipment start hitting the gym harder...it'll make a bigger difference day to day than your equipment will..