Injury prior to recruit school

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Im sure each county handles injuries differently, but what typically happens if somebody has a minor injury during/just prior to the fire academy? I know that major injuries often lead to a recruit being dropped, but are they a little more understanding about sprains and the like?

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
Contact the school!!!!!! Don't waste time asking on a forum where no one can really give you accurate answer.

OP
OP
C

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Contact the school!!!!!! Don't waste time asking on a forum where no one can really give you accurate answer.

Im not referring to any one academy specifically. Just trying to get an idea of how some places treat injured recruits.

sweetpete

Forum Lieutenant
As long as the injury doesn't affect your ability to do all the evolutions in a manner that is acceptable to the instructors, it shouldn't disqualify you. But if they notice that you're limping around or not pulling your weight, they might ask you what's up. Then, if they find out you're hurt, they might require a Dr. visit prior to returning to class.

Either way, if you're hurt, DO NOT start the academy. Wait until you're 100% healed and then give it everything you have. Fire academy students perform tasks that can literally get you killed if you're not in top physical shape.

Just fyi.

OP
OP
C

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
What did you hurt and how bad is it? On a scale of 0-10 10 being burnt alive of course

Im thinking that i have plantar fasciitis, basically SEVERE arch pain. Not sure how long it will take to recover. Having trouble walking, let alone running.

EDIT: Pain scale is a 3.

CBentz12

Forum Crew Member
I wouldn't push it bro especially in that area where there is constant force being applied. It sucks but you should get into the next recruiting class and let that heal.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Try insoles and possibly new boots before you go worrying too much.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
See a doctor about it. I have trouble imagining climbing ladders with PF!

medic417

The Truth Provider
Per rules no medical advise will be given. So really see a doctor to find out how restricted you are then comply with my first post for you to contact the school to see if they can work with your limitations. What other schools do has no effect on what your school does.

AlphaButch

Forum Lieutenant
I'd suggest seeing a podiatrist and finding out for sure. If it's just the onset of flatfeet, custom insoles can often help. I'd worry about going to an academy with alot of walking/running as that will aggravate flatfeet and start causing other issues (shin splints, weight distribution issues).

As for the academy question, they would all have their own policies for injuries. Some may recycle you (send you to the next class), some let you in initially (during didactic), and some may just kick you. These would most likely also differ depending on how the agency feels about you in particular, the type of injury, etc. Too many variables.

*disclaimer - I have severe flatfeet (multiple surgeries worth) because I didn't address the problem until it was too late to fix/prevent. I still run 2 miles a day/average, and it's extremely painful and costly (constant need for xrays) but I love my career. So if it's preventable or treatable now, get it looked at.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
If you are not forthcoming about your injury, you can be terminated. They don't tolerate lying, which is what you would be doing if you withhold information. For example, one recruit pulled out her inhaler during a run. She got fired since she "forgot" to mention asthma in her medical Hx.

Speaking of runs, you'll be doing a lot of running, even in the "crossfit" style academies. When you eventually drop out of a run, or favor your injury in some fashion, you'll be pulled for "fit for duty." You'll be sent for a medical evaluation, where they'll then discover your condition. They'll want to know why you didn't mention your condition before starting the academy.

You can be dismissed from runs and be placed into alternative forms of PT until you heal. For example, I had knee bursitis. I was excused from runs (this was before suppression training) until I healed up, but the trainer worked me in other ways while the group ran.

medic417

The Truth Provider

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I love those "Dr. Scholls" inserts worked well for me when I was deployed, and I am sure theyll make a big difference on the streets.

I've heard from several podiatrists that those are sham's. See a podiatrist and they can make ones that fit your feet specifically.