infant seizure

zzyzx

Forum Captain
You are called to an 11-month-old baby seizing. The patient has been seizing for 20 minutes prior to your arrival, and is actively seizing upon your when you walk in. How would you manage this patient? You are out in the country, 1 hour away from the nearest ER.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Start with a good history, IV access. Blood sugar. Set of vitals. Benzo's to stop the seizure.

Did I mention get a good history? Oh yeah, get a good history.

It could be as simple as a febrile seizure that mom's freaking out about, could be shaken baby syndrome, could be hypoglycemia, could be… Anything.

Your job is to manage the kid to definitive care.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Start with a good history, IV access. Blood sugar. Set of vitals. Benzo's to stop the seizure.

It could be as simple as a febrile seizure that mom's freaking out about, could be shaken baby syndrome, could be hypoglycemia, could be… Anything.

This ^^^

Oh and make sure you get a good history.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief

Yep. This

Angel

Paramedic
I've had this exact call with a 1 year old and did pretty much everything that was already mentioned. (O2 but I think that's a given) the patient I had, was RSI'd in the ER because they didn't stop so that's an option if you have it.
Definetly want to try and figure out the why.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If he's really been seizing for 20 minutes high flow o2 and 0.2 mg/kg versed IN then what DE said. I'd bet they're hypoglycemic from the seizure.

Did anyone say a good history and physical exam?

Repeat benzos PRN. If you can't stop the seizure I'd consider flying but that depends on their spin times on if it'd be quicker or not. I'd be hesitant to RSI this kid unless we absolutely had to, I don't have that option here though.

NomadicMedic

I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but a good history is a decent starting point.

burnsmh

Forum Crew Member
I am in training, should I get a good patient history?

Rialaigh

Forum Asst. Chief
Backboard, C Collar, High flow O2, A wallet in the kids mouth so he doesn't bite himself....Oh...and a good history ? :unsure:

No seriously though, History, Airway, BgL, Temperature (If possible, most people with a 11 month old have a thermometer). Benzo's (would prefer IV if kiddo is maintaining his airway and I have time to find a site)

and

if the repeat Benzo's do not stop the seizing AND oxygenation is a factor AND flight is not available or time efficient, then I would likely RSI this child after more Medic Backup has arrived prior to attempting a 1 hour transport, would prefer not to have a failing airway for that long with no light at the end of the tunnel for stopping the seizure.

OP
OP
zzyzx

zzyzx

Forum Captain
The parents tell you that everything seemed to be okay today, but then their baby had two seizures. She had had a febrile seizure a few months earlier, so they thought that these were febrile seizures as well.

The Versed you gave IM has had no effect. Blood glucose WNL. IV attempts unsuccessful.

No RSI in your protocols. No helicopters. You are an hour from any hospital. The baby is continuing with her tonic-clonic seizure.

How would you continue to manage this patient? I don't have any tricks up my sleeve. I just want to see how some of you guys who've actually experienced this have managed.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
How violent is this seizure? Can we safely get a rectal temp? Any recent illness? History other than the febrile seizure? Complications with pregnancy/delivery? How's the house look? Neighborhood? Any signs of trauma? Any accidents? Parents seem like they're being honest or do they seem evasive? So was it two seizures or one continuous seizure? If it was two did the little tyke regain any lucidity during the break? Total time originally was ~20 minutes so we're probably getting closer to 25-30 by now.

Lets get a BGL as well, we can do that during a seizure, HR and BP and SpO2 are another story, any cyanosis? If we can't stop the seizure and cyanosis starts to present we may have to try and bag assist them. Also, IO access is warranted if IV access is unobtainable, this is approaching status epilepticus.

If they're hypoglycemic correct it with 1-2mL/kg D25, if we can get a temp and they're febrile I'd give tylenol, benzos PRN IV or IO at this point, load them and lets go. I'd instruct my partner to use the lights if we started getting held up, also would like a rider if I can get one in case this turns into an arrest. I'm not big on transporting emergent but on a long trip like this if there's traffic it will make a noticeable difference in time and we're also looking at an unsecured airway if we can't stop the seizure activity. I'd have to call at this point as well for orders to titrate my versed since my protocol is 0.2mg/kg IV/IO/IN/IM q5 minutes may repeat once and I have a feeling I'm going to need more than that. I'd ask for the same dosing schedule but no max.

Angel

Paramedic
pupils? head injury? shaken baby?
for sure get a temp, BGL came back normal
aggressive airway (bagging if needed)
cant remember if we got vitals? RR? at this point baby is down to a diaper and id be glancing over to check for any bruises
code 3-depending on terrain and traffic conditions, rider
io
ecg and spo2

like rob, id have to call for more orders for versed, by io the most i could give is 4mg iv or 6mg IN

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I missed the BGL WNL. Oops.

I still say airway IO, mas benzos and transport with the quickness as much as I hate to say that. I will say I'd like to have everything in place before we leave though. I don't need a bumpy transport making things more difficult on a patient who's already seizing.

I had a thought on the SpO2. I'd try an ear or a forehead and see if we can get a decent pleth wave, no guarantee though.

Might consider an NPA but some will probably disagree with me on that one.

NomadicMedic

The parents tell you that everything seemed to be okay today, but then their baby had two seizures. She had had a febrile seizure a few months earlier, so they thought that these were febrile seizures as well.

The Versed you gave IM has had no effect. Blood glucose WNL. IV attempts unsuccessful.

No RSI in your protocols. No helicopters. You are an hour from any hospital. The baby is continuing with her tonic-clonic seizure.

How would you continue to manage this patient? I don't have any tricks up my sleeve. I just want to see how some of you guys who've actually experienced this have managed.

IV (or IO). Benzos. manage airway. transport.

There's no Para-magic other than that.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Cooling PRN?
Does the pt have a med order already? (Call pediatrician).

Let's see the Etilogy Tree:

1. Intrinsic seizure disorder or old head injury) by hx: airway, O2, benzos, transport.

2. Recent head injury by hx and or exam: spinal precaution, airway, benzos, transport.

3. Febrile seizure by hx and take temp: cool, airway, oxygen, benzo prn, transport.

4. Toxic by hx (meth, carbon monoxide, etc: benzo, airway, O2, transport. Pray.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I disagree with actively cooling this patient unless they're ridiculously febrile. What causes seizures related to temperature is the rapid change in body temp or "spiking a fever". It can go the same way when reducing a fever. Reduce it too fast and you could cause another seizure if they aren't still seizing. Now if they're broiling their brain then yes, we need to do something.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Benzos, benzos, and more benzos.

Propofol if you have it.

Bgl and airway management, of course.

I find it can be really hard to get a good history in these situations. I wouldn't spend too much time interrogating the parents. Just manage the patient.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Benzos, benzos, and more benzos.

I keep hearing this, but don't quite know it yet as an EMT-B. Through research I understand its a GABA promoter and thus makes a good and almost always successful attempt at ending seizures. But how is it administered, and at what dose? I've read it could be muccul, IV, or IM. But I can't imagine putting a line in a seizing adult, let alone a seizing infant. What do y'all do?

Thanks!

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I keep hearing this, but don't quite know it yet as an EMT-B. Through research I understand its a GABA promoter and thus makes a good and almost always successful attempt at ending seizures. But how is it administered, and at what dose? I've read it could be muccul, IV, or IM. But I can't imagine putting a line in a seizing adult, let alone a seizing infant. What do y'all do?

Thanks!

Check out the RAMPART study with some related links for some interesting info on this subject.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21967361/?i=2&from=/24001080/related

Many protocols, mine included, give an option of IN, IM, or IV Midazolam for active seizure. Unless I already have an IV, I always go for IM instead of IN for seizures.