Induced Hypoterhmia for ROSC

Nervegas

Forum Lieutenant
Just rolled out in our new protocol the beginning of this month. Post ROSC only, not intra yet.

OP
OP
O

Omnimedic

Forum Ride Along
@epipusher: Fabulous! That's what I'm looking for. Thanks for the info, and congrats on the true save.

@Nervegas: I'm actually writing a set of protocols for a small D/FW area fire dept that is getting into the EMS business, which is part of what prompted this post.... I mentioned it to buddy from Coppell and he acted like I was speaking Greek to him. It made me wonder if anyone in the D/FW area was doing TH, and whether I should take the time to write the protocol for it if facilities don't have the capability to continue the protocol.

I used to work in the D/FW area and know the area well. If you don't mind telling me (here or in a PM), who do you work for, and what facilities do you know of in the D/FW metroplex are on board with it and can continue the process?

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Omnimedic, to answer your earlier question. I am central Texas. A lot of the services down here do it.

As far as the area your speaking of, I do not think any of the fire departments do, their protocols are very basic. However I think Medstar, and I wanna say careflite both do it?

Squad51

Forum Crew Member
We recently introduced hypothermic treatment to our cardiac arrest protocols. It will be interesting to see the data collected after some time of using it. I'm sure the results will be chilling. ;)

OP
OP
O

Omnimedic

Forum Ride Along
Fish: I would be extremely surprised if MedStar wasn't doing it... Their medical director was a street medic for a number of years before medical school and he's pretty up on the latest and greatest stuff. Not sure what CareFlite is doing any more, though I don't think they have too many 911 contracts. I don't know why they wouldn't continue the therapy in flight I'm sure they would continue the therapy in flight during an interfacility.

Squad 51: Where??

If anyone says "We are doing it here", please tell me WHERE... that's the whole point of this... I want to know WHERE in the country/world it is being done.

Squad51

Forum Crew Member
Fish: I would be extremely surprised if MedStar wasn't doing it... Their medical director was a street medic for a number of years before medical school and he's pretty up on the latest and greatest stuff. Not sure what CareFlite is doing any more, though I don't think they have too many 911 contracts. I don't know why they wouldn't continue the therapy in flight I'm sure they would continue the therapy in flight during an interfacility.

If anyone says "We are doing it here", please tell me WHERE... that's the whole point of this... I want to know WHERE in the country/world it is being done.

East Texas

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Howard County MD is doing it prehospital for all ROSC patients, but it will be years before other MD counties follow suit unfortunately.

OP
OP
O

Omnimedic

Forum Ride Along
Canman: thanks for the location info.

My tac-medic course was partially taught by a MD Trooper/Flight Medic who was telling me about the system up there. I know y'all (that's a Texas term, BTW) have a statewide air ambulance system run by the state police, as well as the statewide radio link system (for lack of a better term) - very cool on both parts.... I thought he said something about a statewide EMS protocol... but apparently not based on what you said?

What do you think is the holdup in getting other counties to on board with it? Is it that therapy in particular, or is just the general resistance to change?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Delaware has a state wide radio system, state wide protocols and flies trauma (and some critical medical) via state police helo, usually with the ground medic as the lead. It's a system similar to MD, only with much more progressive protocols.

I know that MD is rather reluctant in allowing als providers advanced protocols, partly because of the large number of volunteer paramedics...

heyinternetman

Forum Ride Along
Hey, I'm with Keller FD. Yamada is putting in our next protocol edition. Baylor Grapevine, North Hills, and THR Harris are on board with hypothermia as far as I know. Also I'm pretty sure Medstar is doing it too. I would strongly suggest to do a google scholar search on the subject before you write the protocol though. Just a suggestion. Take care.

Nervegas

Forum Lieutenant

CF air can do it, and CF runs 911 in Balch Springs, Ellis County ESD 5, Johnson county and Hill county.