Income while in training

Hallofo

Forum Ride Along
Howdy all, just a fairly quick question: Are there income oppertunities for income while in training? My local community college (Lane community college in Oregon) offers a 2- year EMT-P certifiation course, at the end of which you are able to take the NREMT-P test. However, I forsee a need for food, gas and perhaps even mortgage payments during this 2-year period. Do agencies hire trainies (in general) or do some offer "working" courses where you collect pay and run calls? Or, am I going to have to buckle down and be a Prodictive Member of Society (tm) and get a job?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Some services will offer a contract if you were working for them, that they will pay for your Paramedic portion if you will sign a contract. Since it is a community college, and although classes may appear not exactly cheap..they are reasonable enough that one can get a job and pay as you go or.... do like most and apply for a student loan or grant and work as well.

Not many students have the option of going to school full time without being employed.

Talk to a financial counselor at your school and see what they suggest and offer...

R/r 911

Hastings

Noobie
Since you're speaking of a Paramedic program, I assume you're a basic?

Many Medic students in my class work on-call as a basic for ambulance services like Mercy. And as stated, some services will even pay the cost of the program for a contract of work following completion.

RALS504

Forum Lieutenant
I have worked full time for a hospital based EMS for five years. This has worked out well for me as I have been able to go to school for my RN pre-requisites and my medic school most of which is paid for by my work ($3500 annually). I have also been able to switch to the hospital and work in the ER and Adult ICU to have a better schedule. When I am finished with medic school in Dec. I will have my chioce of 3 differant EMS with widely differant protocols and response demagraphic, but I will still be with the same company. When I finish my RN in 2010 (due the current 30 month wait for nursing school) I will be able to work as a medic or RN anywhere there are opening and my benefits and overtime will be interchangable. Only 1 or 2 students in my medic school do not have full time jobs.

Last edited by a moderator: