Incident at EMT-B class on Saturday.

Fire219man

Forum Crew Member
I am still a bit hot over an incident that happened in EMT-B class this past Saturday.

As I stated in my Hello message to the forums. I was previously an EMT-B for about 3 years. Then I had to re-locate for my primary job as a software engineer. Hence I left the EMS business for a period of time. I have since returned. Thats been about 7 years since the last time I ran a call as an EMT-B.

During our class introductions on the first day, I spoke about how I was an EMT-B, and I ran for a few years, but it has been several years now since I have gotten back onto a deparment to run EMS calls. My EMT-B license expired due to I wasn't running on a department, hence I have to take the class all over again.

I am familiar with alot of the terminology and procedures that we are covering in class. It is almost like I am picking up on all those things I forgot about from my extended period of time away from the EMS business. I am scoring pretty high on tests. I am carrying a 98% in the class at the moment. I am the oldest in the class, and at times some of the students look to me for my opinion on things. Some of them I can answer, others I can't.

What I am fuming about is the situation that happend on Saturday. We now are doing patient assesments for both trauma and medical patients. Where you get a scenario from the instructor, and have to run the call like it was real. Verbalizing BSI,Scene Safe, MOI/NOI, C-Spine control, consider additional personel....etc.....

The class has been doing these for about 2 weeks now. Mostly the instructor partners you up with someone and you run the fake call together. I haven't been picked to do any of these scenarios until Saturday.

I am pretty familiar with how the Assessment Tree goes. I am also fairly confident in the skills you need to verbalize and execute during the scenario.

I wandered why I wasn't picked to participate in any of these, but I assumed it was because to give others the opportunity to get their feet wet, since I had already been doing this prior.

I was given a scenario on Saturday. Long and short of it was a male that fell from a ladder, semi-concious. So I took it from there.

BSI,Scene Safe, # of patients, MOI, consider c-spine, consider additional personel.

Form my general impression, AVPU to determine patients level of Conciousness, ABC's, determine level of transport.

Thats exactly how it is in our book. No problem up this point.

Then it is a Rapid Trauma Assessment....As I verbalize this and say I am going to do a rapid trauma assessment, I tell another student to get a c-collar and put it on.

I get scolded for putting on the C-collar prior to the assessment, and was asked how I am going to look at the back of the neck with a c-collar on. I told the instructor that I would look at the back of the neck and palapate it prior to putting on the collar. That must have pissed him off....

I begin DCAP-BTLS starting from the head. Our instructor wants you to say each of the words in that phrase, for each section of the body. So rather than saying DCAP-BTLS on the head, he want's you to say...Is there and Deformities, Contusions, Abrasions, Penetrations, Burns, Tenderness, Lacerations, and Swelling? Thats cool with me. I know the nemonic back and forth, so I spew it out fairly quickly.

He say's none noted....

I then move to the neck, and quickly speak the DCAP-BTLS just like he wants. He then says....It's obvious that you know DCAP-BTLS, you don't have to say it all now...So basically all I gotta do is say DCAP-BTLS rather than all the words in it....Cool by me....

I move to the chest and say DCAP-BTLS....in my mind I was thinking abdomen as well. I dunno why, but I was....After going from the chest, I went to the pelvis to press down and invesigate for crepitus....

The instructor stops me again...and this time attempts to make an example out of me....

He scolds me like a child, trying to prove to me that he knows more than me, begins asking me questions about blood in the abdoment and how that would feel to palapate, and how would I know the abdomen was bleeding, bla bla bla... Mind you, the class never covered how an abdomen would feel if you are guarding, or blood in the abdomen....I just kind of knew it from running in the past.....This must have pissed him off more....He then continues to make an example out of me.....He has never done this sort of grilling to anyone else in the class, of which alot of them miss the ABC's.

I take it like a man, not blowing my cool. I let him feel superior to me, the class, and whomever else he was trying to impress.

After the session was over, I went to lunch with another student. I mentioned nothing of the events that occured. But I was approached by 2 students that asked me why he went off on me so bad. I told them I don't know, maybe he holds me in a higher standard than others.

Holding me in higher standards of anyone else isn't fair to me in my opinion. I haven't ran calls in 7 freaking years. Making an example out of me isn't fair either. And to attempt to show dominace over a student is completely unprofessional for an instructor to do.

I am still steaming pissed about this situation.

Yes, I didn't palpate the abdomen, I was thinking it in my mind but didn't do it. God forbid that on my first scenario, of which others had been doing for several weeks, I forget something.

After being scolded like a child, I continued on with the scenario, without missing a beat, and completing it with a tight lip.

As a student, should I bring up my disappointment in how I was treated?

Or

Should I stay tight lipped, and pass the class, pass the registry, then bring it up?

Or

Say nothing at all.

Thanks for letting me vent.

fire219man

Nycxice13

Forum Lieutenant
Deal with it with that particular instructor. No need to go over his head, he was being an a hole, and deserves to be called on it by you.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I too am going through the class a 2nd time after years away from riding. We happen to be going through pt assessment as well. And of course I am doing the pt assessment much better than my peers because I am very familiar with it.

Let it pass. I know its frustrating to be spoken too like this. Just because he is the instructor doesn't mean he has any idea how to teach this stuff. Just get yourself through the class, get your EMT and keep it current so you never have to go through the whole thing again.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
You sound like a pretty level-headed guy; let it pass for now. It sounds like he's got issues of his own, and making him an enemy now will make your life a living hell for the next couple months. I have done the -B class five times since 1984 due to military obligations (moved a lot), so I can empathize with you on this one. It also sounds like like your peers are supporting you as well, which will pay off in the long run. Best of luck and don't let him get you down. :rolleyes:

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
I agree with the others to learn from this situation. Instructors vary......
Not every one you come across in an arse.

It is possible he/she was offended by something you may have said or done earlier in the class (Heck you may not have even known it).

Keep your head on (like it sounds like you are doing) and see what happens. I started out being really disgusted with some people in the begining to come back and have a great friend later.

jedirye

Forum Lieutenant
We had a guy like you in our class. Way older then all of us kids and knew everything very well (he was a former medic, however). He was great to talk to because he knew almost as much as the instructors, but wasn't cocky about it. If I were you, I'd love to go off on him but realize in the long run I'd regret it. I would see how the next couple of classes pan out. See if he is still on your case. If he is, then there is no reason you should have to suffer through it for the rest of the semester. Maybe ask to speak with him privately and try to settle the matter like adults, etc.

-rye

OP
OP
Fire219man

Fire219man

Forum Crew Member
I have decided to keep a level head and not say anything. My mission is to complete th class and pass the registry....

Thanks for the encouragement!!!

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Keeping quiet and doing well in class is a good idea. :)

I first went through the EMT-B courses about 11 years ago but never went to work in the field. A lot of stuff that I learned back then came back to me when I was in class, and it made things a bit easier. But I generally kept quiet about it.

You know how egos are sometimes. :)

Luno

OG
Premium Member
EMS Idiots

Hey man, don't know what to tell you, other than it's just part of the job. I guess the other way to explain it than to draw from recent experience. So I work as Pro Ski Patrol when I'm home during the winter. Now that being said, I started patrol several years ago, and there are people who haven't been there very long, that are in management positions. I don't really talk to people about what I do on the outside, and just stick to my original reason for join patrol, "ride and get paid," occasionally practice med. That being said, one of the supervisors was on a call and in my opinion was making some very, uh, well, we'll say interesting calls, and relaying them to me in the first aid room, I kept having to go outside to get clear radio transmission, and having to run back into the room to prepare what they had asked for. Because of this, I have to have them resend radio traffic while I run outside. This was misinterpreted by the supervisor as me getting rattled on a minor leg break call. This supervisor followed up the terribly bungled call by berating me for losing my cool in the aid room, and even had the audacity to tell me that I might want to reconsider my choice of careers if I can't handle a simple leg break. That being said, I'm biting my tongue the entire time, because this supervisor took in excess of 20 minutes to transport a "tib/fib" spiral fx to the base, exposing the pt to hypothermia, had no vitals, called for upgrade to ALS for a non-life threatening injury, didn't have a proper splint applied, had no vitals, no visual, no short report for txpt agency, and here's the kicker, the pt walked into the amb on an unbroken leg... I did keep my mouth shut the entire time however. I did have my minute of vengance about 2 weeks later when this supervisor made the mistake of engaging me in conversation about what I do... I briefly went over the stresses related to deciding on lifesaving treatment while people were trying to kill me, and that incidently I'm also a tactical medic instructor, and the necessity of maintaining composure underfire... I think I shut that supervisor up, but they really don't like me, but hey, I don't really care, I'm there to ride... and get paid. I guess the flip is that there will always be someone who plays that game, it's just the life we live.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Some of my best teachers in life have been the ones who pushed me out of my comfort zone. From what I gather, he asked you a few more questions to try and challenge you and push you out of your comfort zone. What's wrong with that? You are there to learn as much as possible aren't you?

On the other hand, some instructors are just ****s. I had a fire instructor who wanted me to get up and do the "I'm a little tea pot" routine because I screwed some minor paperwork B.S. up. I don't think he liked it when I refused and called him a homo in front of the class. He tried to embarrass me and all he did was make it open season for his own public embarrassment. What most people would have seen as a problem, I saw as an opportunity to partake in one of my favorite activities--stirring the pot. He did eventually get over it and we are now friends (well not really, but everyone likes a happy ending).

Just deal with it. And, if you are really "steaming pissed" over this, anger management might be in your near future.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Well... sounds like this guy might have been trying to be a ****, and might have just been pushing you a little.... He actually seems to remind me of an instructor I had, who was almost like Gunnery Sgt. Hartman.... he always had a nickname for us, was always "harrassing" us... but you know what? I respect the man, and he is one of the best medics I know... even if he is an *** sometimes.