Improving EMS

cannonball88

Forum Crew Member
Good Morning, All

I'm in a rut. I'm a full-time field paramedic working in a small (4 medics, 25 volunteer EMT's) system, and I love running calls every day, but I want to do more.

I want to be part of improving EMS throughout the region. I want to help develop new protocols, participate in research, help make things better on a local, statewide, and national scale, but I can't seem to find a way to do that. It doesn't have to be company-based, and it isn't about the money, I just want to contribute.

Someone suggested writing some articles for JEMS and "educating the masses." Well, I did that, I got published, but it still doesn't feel like I'm making the EMS world better.

I'm looking for suggestions, because I feel like I'm stagnant. How can I help EMS on a larger scale from where I'm at?

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I want to be part of improving EMS throughout the region
I admire your ambition, but sadly it's something that you cannot "change" alone. Have you considered becoming an instructor? Maybe teaching will let you feel that your changing EMS. However, I posted a similar thread a few months ago. The thing you'll need most is political influence. In my opinion the key to "leading" a reform of something would be to know the folks that make the laws. This next part is strictly how the world is, NOT how i feel it should be. You will need every title/ part of alphabet soup attached to your name. People don't want to hear from Jo-blo the paramedic, they want to hear from Jo-blo the "paragod" who has PALS GEMS FP-C CC-P and all that stuff that the public sees as "really good things". Not to say that you don't know that stuff as a Paramedic without those certifications. In my personal opinion here is what you'll need:
1. A doctor that is willing to back you, and help you with the medical part, because people love doctors, they don't necessarily love the guy showing up in tacticool pants with lights.
2. A good politician to back you. You need to be able to have the laws edited or changed to make your life/the doctors life a bit easier.
3. Drive to see it through(Which i think you may have?)

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
To the OP, I think the best way you can help EMS is also the simplest: just set a good example every time you work. Once in a while -- and you probably won't know when -- someone out there with you will learn something constructive by observing you. I know that doesn't sound terribly dramatic, but it's a realistic and meaningful approach to contributing.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Getting into (formally) teaching EMS is probably the best way. You'll not only directly influence people through your teaching, but you'll make contacts in state and local EMS offices.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Where do you live?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
In addition to any certs...a degree behind your name carries a lot of weight when you start trying to effect change.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I want to help develop new protocols, participate in research, help make things better on a local, statewide, and national scale, but I can't seem to find a way to do that.

There's a shortage of prehospital provider researchers, but by no means are there none - they typically are PhDs in a health-related discipline (epidemiology, biostatistics, etc.). An MPH or equivalent masters-level degree would be a bare minimum to conduct research, and you probably could not be a PI without a doctorate, unfortunately.

As far as making things better, policy and research (hopefully the other way 'round) are really the two main routes - though you can help push those along via education.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
So glad to hear some refreshing thoughts. I am going on my 40th year in EMS.. I still feel that most of the time; I am still hitting my head against the proverbial brick wall. I have been attempting to make a difference at all levels (from the local to National level). I was informed many decades ago .. EMS is like a relationship; it is on its own time frame.

Part of the problem is that we rushed EMS from the beginning. We have always tried to place a band-aid on an arterial wound and rarely did we ever do it the correct way. We have always done whatever to be the easiest, the fastest and the cheapest method available. Otherwise, we (EMS) would not be in the mess we are in.

Alike others describe, there is always research..... I did my stent as a bureaucrat in a formal trauma research program; but suddenly became discouraged with those that lacked the experience, witnessed the manipulation of the numbers and the altered egos. As described, chances are unless you have the M.D./D/O. behind your name, you will be assisting or conducting their studies.

I suggest to look around. How active is EMS and the legislative going in your state? You describe your EMS has volunteers.. why? Sure low call volume, would it be better and more cost effective to be a regional system? Could the system be improved to utilize such programs as Community Paramedics for supplement? Does your state have a certification level or Paramedics licensed? (yes, there is a difference). How well is the EMS education system within your region, state? Does instructors require more than the traditional EMS instructor program?

How many successful outcomes from cardiac arrest, have you encountered without prior CPR? .... You really want to change things such as patient outcomes? Implement legislation for mandatory CPR training for high school students or before work permits can be issued. Tough? Yes, but someone has done it before... and yes there was changes.

Good luck!

R/R 911

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Must be a hell of a thread if Rid came out of hibernation! :)

Hola Amigo....I havent seen or talked to you really since 2006 in Oklahoma!

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
mandatory CPR training for high school students or before work permits can be issued
This might be the best public health measure short of vaccination! Cheap and relatively easy (and easily studied)!

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Bottom line: follow albany county EMS ;) @EpiEMS